How to not have younger birds eat the layer feed meant for older birds & vice versa

Navahogirl

Songster
May 7, 2020
Good morning! I have 26 chickens ranging from full grown to chicks. My dilemma is that the older hens are beginning to lay eggs and I have them on layer feed while the next set of 4 outside in same coop and run are on medicated feed. They all free range. I have the layer feed in grandpas feeder but right now the chickens are afraid of the noise of feeder and I can't put the lid all the way down. I also have the medicated feed in a separate feeder for the younger birds. The older birds are eating the medicated feed which I do not want them to eat and the younger birds are eating the layer feed I don't want them to eat. So what do I do to correct this issue?

I’ve read two schools of thought on this. The first is put them all on the chick feed and supplement with free choice calcium. The other is to put them all on layer feed and be done with it.
Downside to everyone eating chick feed, it’s expensive.
Downside to feeding the chicks layer feed is there is supposedly kidney issues that can arise from them being on the higher calcium food, but, in the articles I’ve read, no one has seen that in their chicks or as those chicks grew into laying hens.

I’ve read two schools of thought on this. The first is put them all on the chick feed and supplement with free choice calcium. The other is to put them all on layer feed and be done with it.
Downside to everyone eating chick feed, it’s expensive.
Downside to feeding the chicks layer feed is there is supposedly kidney issues that can arise from them being on the higher calcium food, but, in the articles I’ve read, no one has seen that in their chicks or as those chicks grew into laying hens.

Back
Top Bottom