How to pick the right roo?

tracecom

Songster
10 Years
Jan 16, 2010
I have 10 BCM and 3 RIR chicks about 6 weeks old. The RIRs are all pullets, but four of the BCMs are cockerels. I plan to keep one of the cockerels, but am not sure how and when to choose him.

The largest of the cockerels is very mild mannered, but the second largest is aggressive toward me, and is prone to peck any of the pullets that get in his way. The other two are smaller and don't seem to want to be in charge.

I read that I should remove three of the cockerels right away so the the flock can be sure who's in charge, but I don' t know if that is correct or not. I am planning to build a small coop to house the separated cockerels, and then to serve as a house for a broody hen and her chicks when that occurs. In the meanwhile, I could house some of the cockerels there in an effort to choose the right one. Ideally, the "right one" would be the one with the best appearance and demeanor; the other three will be sold or butchered for the freezer when they mature.

What's the best course of action?

Thanks.

My biggest thing in picking a rooster is if he is not aggressive. Of course, some breeds all roos are aggressive. Then pick the least aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom