How to pick up a turkey?

beccaWA

Songster
9 Years
Feb 22, 2012
Eastern WA
I have two Bourbon Reds in my garage that are between 3 and 4 months old. The male is fairly large. (At least to me, new to turkeys!)

I need to move them to their new digs. I converted a lean-to on the back of the garage (10x20) into a coop for them. Problem is, they are somewhat tame, but not sure how they'd feel about being picked up now. They were fine when poults. Not sure I can pick up the male. Is there a trick?

Please advise so I can get these guys into their new home. I hesitate to "herd" them, as they are quite good flyers.

Thanks!

I have two Bourbon Reds in my garage that are between 3 and 4 months old. The male is fairly large. (At least to me, new to turkeys!)

I need to move them to their new digs. I converted a lean-to on the back of the garage (10x20) into a coop for them. Problem is, they are somewhat tame, but not sure how they'd feel about being picked up now. They were fine when poults. Not sure I can pick up the male. Is there a trick?

Please advise so I can get these guys into their new home. I hesitate to "herd" them, as they are quite good flyers.

Thanks!

As long as you can pick them up without any problems and can handle their weight, just pick them up around the middle with their back shoved into your arm pit and holding their wings between your body and your arm and holding the legs together in your hand.

Turkeys herd quite well when using long sticks as extensions of your arms. Just go slowly and they will not take off. Of course if they are very friendly, they might just follow you into their new home especially if you are carrying treats for them.

Last edited:
I have two big boys, also only 3 months old and have to nightly go pick them up off their chosen exposed roost and carry them into the protected coop. Pain in the rear, especially as one is more aggressive and kinda pecky. Just be firm and confident. They are heavier than they look, at least mine seem that way. Apparently they aren't getting the message about where to sleep, or maybe they like the attention?

I have two 3 month old black Spanish poults and I just pick them up with both hands simultaneously over their wings and under their stomach, they aren't very heavy so I just pick them up like my chickens :D

Back
Top Bottom