How to prepare a coop before receiving chicks.

Dom Lover

In the Brooder
Aug 24, 2019
East Tennessee
I have read to use linseed oil to coat a coop inside and out to prevent mites. I have a specially formulated vegetable oil for protecting wooden cutting boards, will this work as well? Is there other things that I need to do before introducing my chicks to their new coop? I purchased this coop already made to just be assembled.

No idea. Have never heard of using linseed oil for mite prevention. FWIW, I built my coop from PT wood over 2 years ago. Painted the outside and the floor of the coop. No mites.
As far as cutting boards go, I use only mineral oil on mine.

No idea. Have never heard of using linseed oil for mite prevention. FWIW, I built my coop from PT wood over 2 years ago. Painted the outside and the floor of the coop. No mites.
As far as cutting boards go, I use only mineral oil on mine.
Mineral oil is a great idea. I have been reading everything I can about raising chickens before I get started so I'll at least have a knowledge basis for when the little girls finally arrive. So I read in one article that linseed oil was good for preventing mites. it suffocates them as they try to go into a place to hide.

Linseed oil on top of mites would be bad for them, but that's not the issue here. If you have a shiny new coop, non-toxic paint or stain, or whitewash, or whatever to help protect the wood will be fine. Once the birds move in, it gets messy! My old wood coop is 'dirt gray' on the inside, and might melt if I tried to actually scrub it, so just never mind.
Mites and lice could arrive any time, if your birds go outside, or wild birds find their way inside. Then, permethrin spray all over everything and the birds manages it.
Chickens are fun!
Mary

I have read to use linseed oil to coat a coop inside and out to prevent mites.
Never heard of that one either...
....don't believe everything you read in the books or online.
I would not use linseed oil inside a coop, the dust will stick to it and be impossible to clean off. Either use a good paint, properly prepped for and cured or leave it be.
Pics of your coop might help garner good options.

All they really need is a fresh and balanced chicken ration and plain clean water.
in a coop that keeps them dry and out of the wind but with good ventilation.

Oh, and...Welcome to BYC! @Dom Lover
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-8-28_8-52-25.png

Back
Top Bottom