How To Prevent Frostbite?

I do too! I've got a little shovel to scoop the piles but like yourself if it's going to get rough i do a complete redo. I wouldn't want to sleep in a poopy coop and especially not when its butt cold.:)
Plus, I just hate walking in a wet coop! When I spend time with my chickens; I look forward to sitting in a nice, dry, sweet smelling coop when it is cold :)

I just bought this heat lamp. Have it hanging from the ceiling by a chain and it's clipped on chain. Safe and provides a spot the chickens can go under to warm up a bit.
Mine are molting right now and half bare. it's 20 degrees here today and even though they may not "need" heat, it helps me feel better. ;) I cannot say enough about that heat lamp and the company. I ordered it at 2pm and it arrived at 9am the next morning! Excellent product. worth every penny. https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/prima-heat-lamp

I just bought this heat lamp. Have it hanging from the ceiling by a chain and it's clipped on chain. Safe and provides a spot the chickens can go under to warm up a bit.
Mine are molting right now and half bare. it's 20 degrees here today and even though they may not "need" heat, it helps me feel better. ;) I cannot say enough about that heat lamp and the company. I ordered it at 2pm and it arrived at 9am the next morning! Excellent product. worth every penny. https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/prima-heat-lamp

I have that particular lamp as well. That gets brought out when we have the -40-50 Polar Vortex crap-ola. Nice heat lamp. Pretty safe as lamps go. Worth the money as well.

I've never used heat, down to zero F here quite often with -20 windchill. My coops are pretty much open, roof vents and always open pop door. Had naked necks last yr in a sorta tarp hoop coop with one completely open side and no issues with frostbite. I think opening the coop up is most important, that and waterers that they can't dip wattles in. I just use a rubber bowl with a partial top that keeps them drinking from the edge.
Jersey giant's and naked necks, even had leghorns very minor frostbite issues. Tips of the combs, little bit on the edges of the wattles. I think even in my avatar pic the rooster is slightly frostbit , once it warms up in the spring heals right up with no loss.
Worst I've had was a couple red sussex roosters with long wattles swelled up. Ground was a sheet of ice that yr and they were dragging their wattles across the ground when out ranging. Not much I could do about that unless I tried tying the wattles into bows Lol! Even they healed just fine.

I think even in my avatar pic the rooster is slightly frostbit , once it warms up in the spring heals right up with no loss.

Really? If my roosters get frost bit there is loss after the healing. Black frost-burned eschars fall off leaving shorter comb tips or shortened wattles. Frostbite takes body parts.

DSC01230.JPG

DSC01308.JPG
DSC01390.JPG

Back
Top Bottom