how to properly quarentine and introduce roosters?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sunket77, Sep 3, 2009.

1. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    I am hoping to get some new chickens in a few days from a fellow BYCer and I am very excited! To properly quarantine them do they have to be totally separate from my flock or can they be in a holding pen inside the coop? I know this might be a dumb question but the only other place to keep them is in the house and one is a rooster!

My other question is since one is a rooster is there a way to introduce him to my other bantam rooster (one coming is a silkie and mine is a cochin)
    My plan is to have the bantams possibly separate from my standards I have 2 polish pullets and getting 2 silkie hens and one cochin roo and one silkie roo. Is this possible or will I just have to keep the roosters separate?

2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

You should quarentine all new members, away from your original flock. Not sharing the same air space or floor space, for at least a month. Then, ok to put them where they see each other, but not touch each other for a while. Slowly goes it ....

3. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    will that work with the roosters?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by