How to properly restrain your roommates dogs from chickens, cats, and livestock?

PrettyLacedFeathers

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 13, 2013
Augusta, GA
How to properly restrain your roommates dogs from chickens, cats, and livestock?

Hi my mom help in purchasing a property with me in my name. Its one acre. She has paid way more into the property than I have. It will be paid off in about another 3.5 years out of 6.5 years. Recently she decided she was getting remarried. She doesn't have a lot of money left and wants my sister and my soon to be step-brother and his girlfriend to have something. She says they can help finish what needs to be done on the property such fencing and housing if they can stay there for free or rent their places out. This in many ways would be very beneficial as the place needs a lot of work done. Right now I am living in an old falling apart trailer. Even when I am a promoted from a dog bather to a dog groomer in 4 months I still don't think I'll have enough money to properly finish the place.

While, I will not be putting any of their names on the title I still have many concerns. My mom is getting married pretty suddenly only dating him for about 3 months. I have only meet him and his son once. I don't want to loose my rights to the property if things go south. I am concerned by letting his son and the girlfriend build permeant homes on my property they will gain rights to the land.

I am also concerned because my future stepbrother and his girlfriend have large indoor dogs that they would want to bring with them. I am concerned about the dogs behavior towards cats, chickens, and livestock. Unfortunately I and other neighbors have already had problems with neighborhood dogs killing and chasing cats and livestock. These dogs where reported for being at large because they where not seen or filmed in the act of killing. I know one of the dogs owners was already fined three times (twice by me), the last fine being about $300.

While I do have my own dogs (4 large ones) they are well behaved outdoor dogs that are good with our chickens and cats. They have a secure small pen in the back on cement and I want to fence in the entire property with a tall fence that has a cement barrier so they can not dig out and the bad neighbor's dogs can not get in. I never want my dogs to be seen loose because I never want the people I reported to say they did something or blame them for anything.

This brings me back to future stepbrother and girlfriend and their large dogs. These are my concerns:
*What if their dogs want to kill cats, livestock, and chickens? Most dogs do if they haven't been raised with other animals.
*Does having the dogs inside the place in the middle of the property seem dangerous? I mean if they slip out of the front door just once they could be munching on my chickens and cats.
*Does a secure outdoor runner seem safer for my means? I would have it roofed the gate on the outside of my property so their dogs would never be with the other animals unless someone takes them out and walks them back to the gate for the main fence and to the house.
*Would I be help liable if their dogs did something in the neighborhood? I have never been on animal controls bad side and I don't want to start.
*What happens if their dogs hurt my animals or someone else animals? Can I be held liable?
*What if a roommate accidentally lets my four dogs out of their enclosure and they go running done the street.?
*Lastly what if everything goes south. Will they have gain rights to my property.

Btw I don't know them or their dogs I only meet the guy once. I know the girlfriend rescues animals but I think they only have the dogs. They may have a cat.

Sorry for any typos in advance! X_X

Nothing as of yet. I have the land in my name. So it's officially mine at the moment.

Some people have said I am overreacting, but I think my future step brother having an established home on my property is a big deal.

The exact plan is to build jointed houses out of shipping containers with a shared kitchen/laundry area. I am not fond of this idea either I think it is kind of an ugly way to build a house but it is a real thing and some of them look nice. Everyone would get their own unit so that is one for him, one for my sister, and one for me. Our parents will help pay for it he and his dad can help construct it. Its sound really nice in a way but I don't know him or his dad. I prefer to be cautious.

You have every right to be concerned about someone (your mother) telling a third party it is OK for them to build a house (that you will not own) on YOUR property that you are paying for.

You NEED to talk to a lawyer.

Thank you for spending time helping me with this situation.

My mom has paid way more into the property than I have, but its in my name. She paid over half. We were both originally going build house on the property but now things have changed. She is going move in with her fiance at his place and wants to provide sometime for my sister and his son.

Last month she decided she wanted everyone to be put on the title (her, my sister, her fiance, his son). She said they would all have a smaller percentage than me so they could never take the property from me. I told her 'No Way!' And thats when she came up with this new idea where all the 'Kids' get to live out here.

I am Not worried about my mother's motives. She is a nice person thats way she didn't put her name on it in the first place. But she is also a doormat. In her divorce from my dad she gave him everything the house , our ten acres, and didn't even ask for a lot in the settlement. While my dad did keep his end of the deal and paid for college for me and my sister, he did not take good care of our dogs and let them get covered in fleas, 2 got heart worms, one mysteriously died and he was an ***-hole with too much control. It has taken us a long time to get back on our feet and get a place for four big dogs, pond fish, cats, and now we even have chickens. I am finally seeing a light at the end of the tunnel with my promotion to dog grooming and in four months I plan to be investing in websites etc to make even more money. I don't want to loose everything due to this new arrangement. I want to protect what we have.

I think I will stall…..

They get married in May. Hopefully they won't ask to build anything till after that. I think I should save money and pay for the process of one housing unit on my own that they can stay in. That would make them more of free renters. Or I could helping to pay for the shipping container she already bought in my sister's name awhile back to be finished. I trust my sister I actually know her. I don't want to invest any money in the old trailer I have because it is falling apart.

I wonder if there are places near you that have free or low cost legal aid. We can only give you ideas but, a lawyer can give you the realities of such an arrangement.

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom