How to protect hens' sides

marvun22

Songster
7 Years
Jul 8, 2012
North Dakota
My rooster is very rough with his hens. He rips up their backs and sides single-handedly, despite having 11 hens for himself. I can protect their backs with a saddle. Here's my concern. How do I protect their sides?

Here is an article on trimming nails and spurs. Perhaps you can trim his down to the point they don't cut up the hens.

I believe I would first separate him for a while to give the hens a chance to heal. Perhaps you can find, make or alter their saddles so that their sides are also protected. Also, it may take some time to get his nails and spurs down to an acceptable size, and you can only take so much off at a time.

Here is an article on trimming nails and spurs. Perhaps you can trim his down to the point they don't cut up the hens.

I believe I would first separate him for a while to give the hens a chance to heal. Perhaps you can find, make or alter their saddles so that their sides are also protected. Also, it may take some time to get his nails and spurs down to an acceptable size, and you can only take so much off at a time.
I will look into that.
I would cull the rooster.

I don't think I could, his other qualities are just too good. He is a great defender and is nice to me. It took quite a bit of searching to get a rooster like that. And he's my favorite chicken, but that is not the most determining factor.

Back
Top Bottom