how to protect my babies to be put in coop in 2 weeks

maf2008

Songster
12 Years
Feb 19, 2009
I have a flock of 38- 35 pullets and 3 roos. I am new to this and am building a coop. 20x20 in diameter/metal roof and surrounded by a wire fence/surounded by metal roofing.

In our area we have mountian lions (they kill deer) bob cat, hawks, coons, possums and skunks not to mention dogs. We live by a creek which is by the chicken pen

(i do not have photos) but the coop is made of heavy plywood 8 foot panels and tin roof. the top 2/3 foot under the roof is double chicken wire. the door is wood with chickenwire/metal at the bottom.

The chickens will be outdoor in day and coop at night. I plan on hatching batches always and figure I will have some losses. What kind of losses does anyone expect I will have? How many should I keep hatching to keep a flock of about 50? what IF ANYTHING can be done to prevent preditors? all advice is appreciated. (I am soooo hooked on chickens! ) I have a mixed batch of leghorns/ rir/americanas/red sex link/orffingtons/ and I cant wait to get more! This is too much fun.

Chicken wire will not keep out preditors! I saw a dog bite through 1/2 inch hard ware cloth in seconds. Get a welded wire , very thick wire and use it over the chicken wire. The mtn lions and other preditors will be there in the day too. your losses will be large. Its like setting a table for them once they find them the first time. Sorry but you really will need a fort knox situation. I would make an enclosed run for sure. Jean

Be sure to put the welded wire in the ground at least 6 inches or so, Predators like possums, weasels and mink can dig under. We found that out the hard way a few weeks ago. From the same learning experience, we learned to keep a live trap baited at all times because nothing goes in a jaw trap...

If you will make an L shape of the outside wire about 2 feet worth at the bottom and cover the wire on the lower part of the L with soil they will not dig under as bad. The bottom of the L should face outside the run.(Some types of weasels can go through the 1 inch wire so nothing is 1oo% fool proof) When most pred. hit the wire digging they won't be able to dig under. Make sure the top of the wire is reinforced enough so that a mtn lion could walk on it and not go through. We always make a frame on the top and sides and put the wire on it. Its expensive but if you are serious about keeping the flock protected it will be worth it. I do not have mtn lions here but everything else I think. The dogs kill possums almost every night lately. I find them dead in the side yard outside the chicken fence. Good dogs, even if they do live next door. During the day they keep them home, so not so much problem. Good luck with your hens and start small with the run. You can always make it larger later as money permits. . Jean

Last edited:
Hi to all thanks for the advice. My son in law ahd a great bit of advice that I will ty on top of the L shaped hardware wire.

We have huge "rocks/boulders" about 20/50 lbs in our creek. He suggests placing the rocks around the perimeter of the chicken coop. I imagine this would work for cement blocks partially dug into the dirt as well.

Thanks for the ideas all..... wish me ;)luck.

we put chicken wire UNDER the coop and two layers around the coop. One on the inside of the coop and one on the oustide.

For you I'd say at least hardware cloth and double up.

Back
Top Bottom