How to Provide Emergency and Supportive Care - Updated 01/17/2021

I started a new thread for that. So many things one can have, just depends on how hard core one wants to get when/if they need to treat an ill or injured bird. I don't have the option to take most of mine to a vet, so my kit is a little ove the top. Far too often I read about people using things like peroxide to clean wounds, which is pretty much worthless as a cleaner, so that's why I posted about chlorhexadine.

-Kathy

So what's the new thread called? I need to find it!

One thing I think all bird owners should have is something other than peroxide or betadine to clean wounds with. 2% Chlorhexidine (Novalsan) is what I recommend.

-Kathy

Hello Kathy!
Wound care is something I specialize in (in HUMANS LOL!)! So if you don't mind I would like to share current nursing guidelines for woundcare :) Current standards for wound have changed DRASTICALLY through the years. One thing to keep in mind when trying to heal any wound is you want HEALTHY CELLS TO PROLIFERATE and bad bacteria to go away. Current research (with HUMANS AGAIN LOL!) have found healthy cells do not like betadine, chlorhexidine, or peroxide. What they do like is SALINE and lots of it :) So what we do is flush the wound thoroughly with saline preferably with a needle on the end to create more pressure to help push the bacteria out. To help cells proliferate, you want to keep a nice MOIST environment for them so even in humans we see the fastest and best healing using HYDROGELS. For animals, Vetericyn Hydrogel is just about the best thing out there! I have used it on myself and my dog and this stuff will heal MAJOR wounds up very quickly. Vetericyn is effective against MRSA and MDRO (MRSA= Methicillin Resistant Staph Aureous. MDRO= Multi-Drug Resistant Organisms) as well. Betadine can still be used for wounds that are closed and need to be dried. Chlorhexidine is a broad spectrum antimicrobial that we use to clean the skin prior to surgeries and IV insertions. The major thing wound be to maintain a clean environment for the chickens while healing. But remember, if the germs are "self" then you won't have any negative effects to wound healing.

Back
Top Bottom