How to put 9 week old chicks with exisitng flock!

yorklady

Songster
May 12, 2012
Please help! I am scared stiff to integrate my 9 week old chicks with my existing flock. I still have them in a brooding pen and they are starting to smell like chickens. I have 6 hens and a rooster and Brewster can be very aggressive. My poor chicks have never been outside and I am afraid they won't know how to be chickens if I don't get them out soon but I am so afraid that the older ones will kill my babies. Please help me!

They should be around the same size as the older chickens before you integrate them. Ideal is 4 months old, but I have gotten away with it before then. It depends on the personalities of the adult chickens.

You can use chicken wire fencing to divide off part of the coop and run (make sure they have shade/wind/rain protection in the run) depending on your situation.

They should be around the same size as the older chickens before you integrate them. Ideal is 4 months old, but I have gotten away with it before then. It depends on the personalities of the adult chickens.

You can use chicken wire fencing to divide off part of the coop and run (make sure they have shade/wind/rain protection in the run) depending on your situation.
Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking that I can get a big wire dog pen and put the little guys in it inside the coop and then move the dog pen into the run during the day. I don't think hubby will be too fond of all the moving around though. They are totally feathered and the brooding pen isn't high enough for them to be able to roost in it so I would love to get them into the coop but it sounds like I am going to have to wait another 8 weeks or so til they are almost as big as our old ones. the goal is to have one big happy flock. Fortunately our girls are very docile but the roo is ....well roo-ish!

Please help! I am scared stiff to integrate my 9 week old chicks with my existing flock. I still have them in a brooding pen and they are starting to smell like chickens. I have 6 hens and a rooster and Brewster can be very aggressive. My poor chicks have never been outside and I am afraid they won't know how to be chickens if I don't get them out soon but I am so afraid that the older ones will kill my babies. Please help me!
I WOULD NOT put them together yet!!! We raise chickens until they are old enough to live outside (feathered out) and then sell them. Of course we keep some for our own flock. I have pullets of mixed ages with a few weeks between then but I would not suggest putting the little guys in with the full grown hens until they are close to the same size. Even when they are first introduced I would make sure that they have a safe place to get away form the bigger hens. If possible it would be better if you are introducing a larger group of little ones to the bigger ones. Let me explain!!! If you have 5 hens, I would not introduce just 2 little ones, introduce 5 or more. Strength in numbers! And just keep an eye on them to make sure that they are not picking on the little guys.

We keep the day old pullets in a wire kennel lined with chicken wire. When they are about three weeks old they go into the "nursery" where they will stay until they are about 8 weeks old. Then they go outside to a pen, next to our hens and will stay there until they are about 4 months old (or when they look ready!!) then we will put them in with the hens. We usually have 15-25 hens and will introduce the same number of little ones. There are many places for them to hid. KEEP IN MIND, when you do introduce them they might get picked on a little. THis is natural. They are just establishing their "pecking order". as long as one isn't being beaten up they should be fine.

Good luck :)

Thanks for posting the question. I have an almost identical situation. The chicks come inside at night and stay in a nursery during the day when I am home. Or, like today, I was out all day and couldn't check on them so they had to stay inside. The smell and amount of poop was too much. I am not looking forward to 2 more months of this. I can't put them in the larger coop untl we cover it with hardwire cloth. I totally understand not wanting them in the house any longer---they are cute though...................
Thank goodness for BYC and the knowledge here.

I WOULD NOT put them together yet!!! We raise chickens until they are old enough to live outside (feathered out) and then sell them. Of course we keep some for our own flock. I have pullets of mixed ages with a few weeks between then but I would not suggest putting the little guys in with the full grown hens until they are close to the same size. Even when they are first introduced I would make sure that they have a safe place to get away form the bigger hens. If possible it would be better if you are introducing a larger group of little ones to the bigger ones. Let me explain!!! If you have 5 hens, I would not introduce just 2 little ones, introduce 5 or more. Strength in numbers! And just keep an eye on them to make sure that they are not picking on the little guys.

We keep the day old pullets in a wire kennel lined with chicken wire. When they are about three weeks old they go into the "nursery" where they will stay until they are about 8 weeks old. Then they go outside to a pen, next to our hens and will stay there until they are about 4 months old (or when they look ready!!) then we will put them in with the hens. We usually have 15-25 hens and will introduce the same number of little ones. There are many places for them to hid. KEEP IN MIND, when you do introduce them they might get picked on a little. THis is natural. They are just establishing their "pecking order". as long as one isn't being beaten up they should be fine.

Good luck :)
Thanks so much for your suggestions. When you put your 8 week old in the outside pen is it attached to a coop? I want them to be sheltered. Hubby thinks we should put them in a dog pen and keep it in the coop and not let them go out into the run. I just don't want them to not be able to run and scratch, they can't do that if we keep them cooped up.

I wait intil mine are almost or the same size as my adults,then at night when its dark I take all my new chicks and rub them on the adult so they smell alike and I have not had a single problem.

Thanks for posting the question. I have an almost identical situation. The chicks come inside at night and stay in a nursery during the day when I am home. Or, like today, I was out all day and couldn't check on them so they had to stay inside. The smell and amount of poop was too much. I am not looking forward to 2 more months of this. I can't put them in the larger coop untl we cover it with hardwire cloth. I totally understand not wanting them in the house any longer---they are cute though...................
Thank goodness for BYC and the knowledge here.
Good luck with your chicks too!

No real advice but we are 3 days into trying to mingle 9 existing chicks with 2 new and it is stressing me out! They are all the same size but there are 3 that still pick and they all were mean once they got inside the coop : (
we have been doing a lot of moving and seperating which I hate but I would hate it more if one got hurt

Back
Top Bottom