How to put my pet ducks on a diet

NettyM

Songster
5 Years
Aug 24, 2017
My two Indian Runner Ducks need to go on a diet . Yesterday I removed the food for a few hours and today I removed it for a few hours more with a view to them having it in the morning and then before bed time , but tonight when they saw the bowl they went bonkers and wouldn't stop eating , Presley's crop was so full it was waggling from side to side like I've not seen before. What's the best way to cut down the food without them going crazy when they get it back ? Any advice appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_4932.JPG
    IMG_4932.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 45
My two Indian Runner Ducks need to go on a diet . Yesterday I removed the food for a few hours and today I removed it for a few hours more with a view to them having it in the morning and then before bed time , but tonight when they saw the bowl they went bonkers and wouldn't stop eating , Presley's crop was so full it was waggling from side to side like I've not seen before. What's the best way to cut down the food without them going crazy when they get it back ? Any advice appreciated
Haha nice picture!
I recently started throwing my feed on the ground and it takes them longer to eat, and it seams they all get their fair amount that way too

Now its raining so feed a couple more times aday with less food

Haha nice picture!
I recently started throwing my feed on the ground and it takes them longer to eat, and it seams they all get their fair amount that way too

Now its raining so feed a couple more times aday with less food
Thanks , I'll try that . They were like maniacs chasing me for the food bowl !

I want to see these over weight Runners besides that adorable face. The whole body. I can't imagine my Runners being over weight their metabolism is so high they have to have feed out during day light hrs I'd worry about them getting under weight.

IMG_5202.PNG
IMG_5200.PNG
We have a big garden and they're out in it every day . If we go out they have a secure covered walk in pen with a fence around which is grassy (where their layers pellets are ) , the pellets and grit are there all day so they can wander in and out at their leisure feeding on it ! They get the occasional treats but mainly they free range in the garden with their dry food in their pen .

View attachment 1566497 View attachment 1566496 We have a big garden and they're out in it every day . If we go out they have a secure covered walk in pen with a fence around which is grassy (where their layers pellets are ) , the pellets and grit are there all day so they can wander in and out at their leisure feeding on it ! They get the occasional treats but mainly they free range in the garden with their dry food in their pen .
What are your concerns? They look fine.

Actually they do look pretty chunky for Runners cr lol but grazing on bugs and weeds and grass aren't going to put weight on them. Are they drake and duck? 2 ducks or what since you said layer pellets?

Back
Top Bottom