1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to put weight on a chicken

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JJ--, Jun 24, 2016.

1. JJ--

JJ-- Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2015
    Hi,
    My chickens are recovering from anemia from mites and are quite thin. They are a little over three months and are finally starting to get some color on their combs and faces. What can I do to help them gain the weight back? What is a rough estimate of how long it will take to get the fat and happy again?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I'm not too sure, but if you give them growers feed and maybe add vitamins / electrolytes to their drinking water they should be doing well again soon.

CT

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Make certain feed is fresh (good vitamins) with adequate levels of protein (20 to 22%). If they are confined then make certain they are getting grit. Keep fresh water available at all times.

I they suffered a heavy bout with cocci or worms then recovery may be slowed a bit.

With adults, when everything is working it takes a solid 2 weeks to recover weight. Juveniles about half that long. Avoid thermal stress as skinny birds inn poor feather have to spend more managing temperature that otherwise goes to putting heat on. Extreme heat reduce feed intake.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by