How to RAISE a good rooster.

I can walk right next to my mature roosters. A respectful rooster moves off about 10 feet away from you, gives you his side, and may flap his wings. A problem rooster will face you square on, and look for ways to get behind you, or plain just come at you. My roosters need to understand who I am in the relationship. I'm not a chicken, I'm not to be dominated.

Mine only run further if I'm after them. Otherwise they come forward for treats and snack. My roosters aren't afraid of me, just respectful.
Exactly!

Thank you for the replies! Unfortunately, I thought the more you handle them as chicks the better they behave themselves when they grow up. So I've been holding him and petting him a lot, carrying him around and stuff like that. I guess that's got to stop now. I've heard that if they peck your arm as chicks, you need to train them not to do it right away. (Never happened to me, but he did it to my mom once). How would you do so, or does it really not matter that much?
First nothing is cut and dried, all of them are individual beings. There is no "right" way, there are no rooster instructions.
Your guy may be perfect right out of the box, no amount of contact would change that.
Other side he might be a raging jerkwad, again you could hug him until his eyes pop out he's just going to be a bug eyed jerkwad.
Also keep in mind alot of rooster behavior that is distasteful to humans is totally normal to them, so trying to control stuff they just "do" is pretty pointless.:)

I totally agree. So for all the people that use a net to catch the roosters. Use your hands next time and see.
I use my hands when he's on the roost. If they're out free ranging, they don't get close enough for me to use my hands and I'm just fine with that. I have no need or desire to go chasing a chicken around the farm trying to catch it.

I'd also like to say that though I want most of my roosters to keep out of my space unless invited in, I need my show roosters to be completely docile to handling, and they don't turn aggressive because of that. There's still respect there, which is really what matters, not how fast they run away or don't when you see them or how hard it is to catch them.

I totally agree. So for all the people that use a net to catch the roosters. Use your hands next time and see.
I have some disabilities and can no longer bend down fast enough to grab them. The net works well for me. Birds don't scratch or bite me. They calm right down.

First nothing is cut and dried, all of them are individual beings. There is no "right" way, there are no rooster instructions.
Your guy may be perfect right out of the box, no amount of contact would change that.
Other side he might be a raging jerkwad, again you could hug him until his eyes pop out he's just going to be a bug eyed jerkwad.
Also keep in mind alot of rooster behavior to humans is totally normal to them, so trying to control stuff they just "do" is pretty pointless.:)

That’s why you cull and have dinner if the rooster is out of hand and hard to control. Roosters are more stubborn than pigs in my opinion.

A rooster in with hens is protecting his hens. You are invading his space and may be considered a threat to the hens.
For me, with my non-game roosters, I want them to be smart enough to realize I am not a threat to the flock. I have had a few that seemed too stupid to realize I wasn't a bear. I'm sure not going to give those birds leeway just because they're around hens.

I'd also like to say that though I want most of my roosters to keep out of my space unless invited in, I need my show roosters to be completely docile to handling, and they don't turn aggressive because of that. There's still respect there, which is really what matters, not how fast they run away or don't when you see them or how hard it is to catch them.
Perfect example. If handling roosters made them mean you would never be able to show them.

Back
Top Bottom