How to RAISE a good rooster.

Pics
Check my original post and that’s just how I do it, but there are a ton of threads for rooster rehabilitation on here.Which isn’t necessarily for one who has already gone bad but also for attempt to”try” and avoid one form turning.
I certainly hope he's not a jerk! I've heard though that you can keep some roosters from becoming jerks in the first place though, so I'm trying to figure out how to do so.

I don't have dinner but I do find places for the guys who take a trip to puberty land and don't come back. I'm not mad at them, but cockrel, pig, or anything else there is such a thing as being too much male to happily keep around.
Luckily some people actually want a "real" rooster. I'm happy to supply them no problem at all.:)

Hey, to each their own. I don’t have many around who will take one. I’m actually one of the few in ten miles that raise chickens. Good business and I get to barter eggs for fresh cows milk.

Pecking is a form of aggression, birds peck each other when their fighting or showing dominance ,I would consider that an threat and not a very good rooster to keep around.

Actually it is just a reaction trying to flee, not aggressive. Mine do not raise their hackles at me or anyone nor do they flog. Aggression and flight response are two totally different things and is easily identifiable.

Maybe it’s something I’ve never experienced then.None of my birds have tried pecking me whilst trying to get away, the most they do is flap their wings and scream till I sit them down.

Maybe it’s something I’ve never experienced then.None of my birds have tried pecking me whilst trying to get away, the most they do is flap their wings and scream till I sit them down.

My hens do that. Some of my roosters do that. One gives an investigative peck and stops. They realize there is nothing they can do and give up.

My main concern is raising a rooster who isn't aggressive toward humans. All I wanted to know is if I can do this while they're still young. It looks like the general opinion is that the less you handle you rooster while he's young, the better. (I spend a lot of time with my chickens, so much so that my dad has taken to saying "Playing/talking with your chickens again?" every time I come back from the coop.) Note: he has three pullets his age and is being integrated with 4 fully adult hens right now, so maybe that will change some of the dynamics? Teach him who's boss?

If a friendly rooster means one that is not afraid of me, one that I can pick up without him running and is not aggressive, then I would prefer that to a rooster who is cowering in fear and respect.
Yes - you can set that in motion right now. Spend time with your flock. Let them get used to your presence in the coop. If he comes up to you in an inquisitive way rather than an aggressive way, reach out to touch him and see how he reacts. Get him used to you touching him if you want. I can't say that cuddling/holding him is going to make him aggressive. I don't do that. I just know that there are many, many threads here on BYC about "my sweet baby that I've spoiled rotten all his life has suddenly turned into a monster". A lot of that is because those people didn't recognize subtle signs of potential aggression. A rooster "dancing", walking at you sideways, dropping his wings, pecking at you (even gently at first), jumping up on you, flying at you. All are signs that he's checking you out to see what he can get by with. You can get a handle on that by not letting it get started.

As soon as I recognize a cockerel, I quit handling him. I give him his space, but if I want to get from point A to point B and he's in my way, I just keep walking and make him move. (Kind of like the high school boys in the school where I work - before the morning bell, they sit on either side of the hallway with their legs out, making other students step over them - I just keep walking, and they move or they will get stepped on.) If a cockerel starts looking at me sideways, or sneaking up behind me, or flat-out coming at me, I walk toward him and don't stop. I make him move away. Sometimes I'll do that just because I can. I never chase, hit or kick them. Just let them know that I'm in charge.

In my opinion, there is a difference between a friendly rooster and a non-aggressive rooster. For example, today when I was in the coop feeding and watering my chickens, my rooster was standing next to my foot drinking out of the water bowl I had just filled. I reached out and touched his back. He squawked a bit, but didn't react otherwise. Would you say he's friendly, or non-aggressive? I would say non-aggressive. A friendly chicken acts more like a pet. He's underfoot, begging for treats or pets, likes to be held, etc. I don't want that. There's nothing wrong with having that pet, but it's not my preference.

Yes - you can set that in motion right now. Spend time with your flock. Let them get used to your presence in the coop. If he comes up to you in an inquisitive way rather than an aggressive way, reach out to touch him and see how he reacts. Get him used to you touching him if you want. I can't say that cuddling/holding him is going to make him aggressive. I don't do that. I just know that there are many, many threads here on BYC about "my sweet baby that I've spoiled rotten all his life has suddenly turned into a monster". A lot of that is because those people didn't recognize subtle signs of potential aggression. A rooster "dancing", walking at you sideways, dropping his wings, pecking at you (even gently at first), jumping up on you, flying at you. All are signs that he's checking you out to see what he can get by with. You can get a handle on that by not letting it get started.

As soon as I recognize a cockerel, I quit handling him. I give him his space, but if I want to get from point A to point B and he's in my way, I just keep walking and make him move. (Kind of like the high school boys in the school where I work - before the morning bell, they sit on either side of the hallway with their legs out, making other students step over them - I just keep walking, and they move or they will get stepped on.) If a cockerel starts looking at me sideways, or sneaking up behind me, or flat-out coming at me, I walk toward him and don't stop. I make him move away. Sometimes I'll do that just because I can. I never chase, hit or kick them. Just let them know that I'm in charge.

In my opinion, there is a difference between a friendly rooster and a non-aggressive rooster. For example, today when I was in the coop feeding and watering my chickens, my rooster was standing next to my foot drinking out of the water bowl I had just filled. I reached out and touched his back. He squawked a bit, but didn't react otherwise. Would you say he's friendly, or non-aggressive? I would say non-aggressive. A friendly chicken acts more like a pet. He's underfoot, begging for treats or pets, likes to be held, etc. I don't want that. There's nothing wrong with having that pet, but it's not my preference.

Side note: I love filling the chickens 8 gallon waterer up and then letting them out of the coop. Chicken stampede!

Back
Top Bottom