How to raise chick eggs

Chicken poppy

Fashionably late 🎤🦆
Premium Feather Member
May 9, 2021
Poppyland
So how to raise chicken eggs? Firstly, you need to figure out how many you have. Take these numbers into note

the amount you have a average of 50% being a rooster, (for example, i had 6 chickens first round and 3 were roosters)

next, is some of them dont make it, we attempted to hatch 9 firstly, but sadly 6 came out. (1 didnt even begin development, it was infertile)

i always recomend having a place to give a roo (if you dont plan on keeping it) before getting eggs.

now, if you have 1 chicken, think of it like a dog, you will need to CONSTANTLY be out there 24/7 which i highhly dont recommend, they are flock animals. Not solitary.
2 is better, but again, they may not get along, so they could be friends, or enemys, if their enemys, its basically down to 1 chicken again, you have to care for them a bunch
i highly recommend 4 being a standard minimum, and i think 6-12 is a good number.

Rooster numbers: 1 Roo to 1 hen *2 chickens* is very bad, even if the roos friendly your hen is likely to get beat up and mated with a lot.
1 roo to 4 hens is decent, still, you gotta make sure the roo is pretty friendly. Because they can still get beat up.
i think 1 roo to 6 hens is your best odds for monimum, but you could maybe push it to 2 roos if their very friendly to the hens, i find good rooster options are bantoms and silkies. But those are typically decent ones in general, though dont be suprised if you end up getting a bad apple.

i think you could do 2 roos to 15 hens comfortably for sure, and 3 to 16 hens or so. You shoulsnt have a even amount of roos to a even amount of hens, that gets violent.

Okay! So now, lets get on with candeling. Day 1 you should see nothing, thats normal.

Day 2-4 you can expect little-bigger veins, and a small dot in the center

day 6-8 you can see the bottom much darker, with a larger circle and more outstretched veins

day 15 is beyond obvious, theres a body, huge veins, and a very dark spot at the bottom

Lock down is typically day 18 (MEANING DONT CANDLE, AVOID TOUCHING THEM AT ALL) bantoms can hatch quicker, so you should lock them down at around day 16 (i say day 17 is a good lockdown period, but by day 15 its so obvious where you shouldnt even have to candle more)

if you see ones with no veins after day 4, no obvious signs, get rid of them. Its rotten infertile dead whatever. If its in a incubator it can explode, contaminating the other eggs making them not hatch (+ a gross sight to see and clean up!)

i may add more later!

Thats all for now! hope this helped, ill add more like egg types, colors, how to check if their fertile. etc

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom