HOW TO RAISE CUDDLY CHICKS!!HELPšŸ£šŸ„

Sit in the run, on a chair and read. Just sit there still and quiet. Before you leave, toss out a handful of scratch. Walk away.

Day two, sit out there, quiet, and after a couple of minutes, when they have gone to ignoring you, throw out some scratch away from you. But stay there until they have eaten it.

Day three - sit quietly, and in a couple of minutes throw a little scratch away from you, let them eat, it, and when they start to look for more, toss a little but much closer to you. Sit there quietly till they have eaten it, and then walk away.

Day four - as soon as you sit down, toss a little bit to get their attention, then more right at your feet. Hang a hand dow beside them but do not reach for them. Wait until it is gone then leave.

Day five - I would expect them to be coming to you, when you come in - go to the chair, and sit down. Put a little scratch right at your feet, on both sides, hang down your hands, so that they have to approach your hands to get the scratch. Do not reach for them or grab them. Hold a bit of grain in your hand, and hold it out. Eventually someone will get brave.

Day six - or before - someone will jump into your lap.

The trick is not to chase them, not to grab them, and really not to hold them, but rather wait for them to approach you and leave you on their terms.

Mrs K

The vast majority of my girls are lap chickens who donā€™t respect personal boundaries (My RIR and Buff Orpington will climb up the front of me and get as close to my face as they can, and the same RIR (and my Barred Rocks) will peck-scrape at me until I pet or snuggle them šŸ˜‚).

The only ones who are not lap girls are the two I did not hand raise, and my Wyandottes (theyā€™ll sit on my legs when Iā€™m in my lawn chair when in the run with them).

I spend an unnatural amount of time with my chickens, from day one. Iā€™ll sit by their brooder and read and talk to them. Iā€™ll take them into the small hall bathroom for ā€˜free rangeā€™ time. I let them climb on me and settle on me for naps ā€¦. I continue this interaction as they grow up and beyond. I also make mama chicken sounds to them.

I think an advantage I also have is that I donā€™t let them free range as adults (canā€™t let anything happen to my precious children).

Having said all that, I think the breed plays a big role, too.
My cuddliest girls have been Barred Rocks (the cats of the chicken world), Rhode Island Reds (my Hattie-girl has loved snuggle time with Mama Chicken since she was a baby), my Easter Eggers, my Buff Orpington, my Buckeye (full on purrs and flaps out her wing like sheā€™s sunbathing.

My others are also lovies but not as obsessive as the ones above. The occasional love bugs are my Polish, my Olive Egger, and my Black Sex Link. So, pretty much everyone and a handful of them will jealously guard their lap space from the others šŸ¤Ŗ.

I think a combination of spending time with them, the breed, and being non-free range has made them super clingy šŸ˜Œ.

Attachments

• AB73C691-4CC2-45C9-BDDC-B536A37BCA97.jpeg
    AB73C691-4CC2-45C9-BDDC-B536A37BCA97.jpeg
    521.9 KB · Views: 3
  • DC048953-A271-4C60-84A4-94AACCF97420.jpeg
    DC048953-A271-4C60-84A4-94AACCF97420.jpeg
    437 KB · Views: 3
  • 2CE3EE08-EE04-409C-8FE0-3E8EB0E67381.jpeg
    2CE3EE08-EE04-409C-8FE0-3E8EB0E67381.jpeg
    791.6 KB · Views: 3
  • F1BAB96C-ABF3-4349-A6AD-246C5DD66DEF.jpeg
    F1BAB96C-ABF3-4349-A6AD-246C5DD66DEF.jpeg
    514.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 824F292F-4D14-4CA1-B0A1-381E5FF34A62.jpeg
    824F292F-4D14-4CA1-B0A1-381E5FF34A62.jpeg
    863.2 KB · Views: 3
  • F6EF7B71-5649-44B6-9542-CD8206A71527.jpeg
    F6EF7B71-5649-44B6-9542-CD8206A71527.jpeg
    857.4 KB · Views: 3
  • D6D2F6B2-0AE7-475B-BDDC-5F1F7E4F241E.jpeg
    D6D2F6B2-0AE7-475B-BDDC-5F1F7E4F241E.jpeg
    700.9 KB · Views: 3
raisins, my chickens ate them like candy at one week old. roll them with your fingers until they bust open. I would pet them while they pecked away. I put cardboard sides on the dog kennel and put it by my bed and talk to them. Hold them, pet them, feed them treats many times a day for the first 2 weeks. I would take dixie cups and put live bugs in them , sit the cups around the yard and call the chicks over. Then tip over the cup. Chickens never like to do anything unless it's their idea. I tried to pet one of my buff's this morning. she went to run so i picked her up. She was a little fussy so i put her on the poop board and petted her up. After that she sat there for more petting and the others came to get some petting too. I call, they come but they take their time before getting petted. unless i have raisins. I could be swinging a meat clever and they would still dance around my feet waiting for a raisin.
šŸ˜‚

The vast majority of my girls are lap chickens who donā€™t respect personal boundaries (My RIR and Buff Orpington will climb up the front of me and get as close to my face as they can, and the same RIR (and my Barred Rocks) will peck-scrape at me until I pet or snuggle them šŸ˜‚).

The only ones who are not lap girls are the two I did not hand raise, and my Wyandottes (theyā€™ll sit on my legs when Iā€™m in my lawn chair when in the run with them).

I spend an unnatural amount of time with my chickens, from day one. Iā€™ll sit by their brooder and read and talk to them. Iā€™ll take them into the small hall bathroom for ā€˜free rangeā€™ time. I let them climb on me and settle on me for naps ā€¦. I continue this interaction as they grow up and beyond. I also make mama chicken sounds to them.

I think an advantage I also have is that I donā€™t let them free range as adults (canā€™t let anything happen to my precious children).

Having said all that, I think the breed plays a big role, too.
My cuddliest girls have been Barred Rocks (the cats of the chicken world), Rhode Island Reds (my Hattie-girl has loved snuggle time with Mama Chicken since she was a baby), my Easter Eggers, my Buff Orpington, my Buckeye (full on purrs and flaps out her wing like sheā€™s sunbathing.

My others are also lovies but not as obsessive as the ones above. The occasional love bugs are my Polish, my Olive Egger, and my Black Sex Link. So, pretty much everyone and a handful of them will jealously guard their lap space from the others šŸ¤Ŗ.

I think a combination of spending time with them, the breed, and being non-free range has made them super clingy šŸ˜Œ.
This was great ! Thanks ! Iā€™m working on my 11 week old pullets I got from a farmer .. they eat out of my hand and get clingy at dusk - but thatā€™s it - nothing really all day - theyā€™re independent !!!!
I did it wrong. I bought older . Iā€™m raising pet chicks like this the next time . Ha ha! But these girls should be proficient layers ! I love them anyways!
What breed should I get for pets that may get along with RIRā€™s ?

Chickens aren't really lap animals, but some individuals might be more friendly. They are prey animals and are naturally wary. Use an eye level brooder that has clear wall so they can see you coming so you won't be the hand of fate. Mine never got used to my hands, I plan on raising them eye level this year
That eye level sounds smart - can you talk more about that! ?

Back
Top Bottom