How to raise Humidity for hatching tray without hurting other eggs?

dday911

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 4, 2008
I am planning on building my own incubator out of an old dorm fridge. Using the Sportsmans cabinet and your all's ideas as a guide. I am curious about the humidity in the sportsmans and other cabinet models. If I raise the humidity after moving eggs down to the hatching tray, it will raise it in the whole bator and be too high for the other eggs still turning up above. How does this work?
I currently run two foam forced air... one for turning and one for hatching. How do you guys handle this issue in your big cabinets that are turners and hatchers?
Any thought or suggestions. Am i misunderstanding the principles behind the Sportsmens models?

I was reading about the sportsman models and it says just move eggs down as you go but does not mention changing humidity the last 3 days. I have always done this..... what do you guys think?

Idealy might be better to hatch in hatcher but I have been using my Dickey Cabinet as bator and hatcher with no problems. I run the humidity between 55 and 60 during incubation time and then raise it to 65 to hatch with no noticed problems so far with staggered hatches.

I run mine in my sportsman at 45-50% then raise it to 65% for hatch. Then when they are done hatching I just lower it back to the 45-50% until the next set of eggs are ready to move down in to the hatching tray. Not had any problems using it as both a incubator and a hatcher.

I hatching every week in my fridge-bator.

Thursday threw about noon Sunday(days with eggs in the hatching tray) I keep the humidity in the 70s%
After noon Sunday,Monday, Tuesday an Wednesday(hatching tray empty) I let it fall to about 15% to make up for the extra moisture the other days.

Cool that is exactly what I was wondering. Do you guys use the sponge deal like the use in the sports or just a water dish?

Back
Top Bottom