how to raise protein in feed store feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by fresheggs4u, Jul 14, 2011.

1. fresheggs4u

fresheggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2007
    I have been trying to develope my own cross for meat birds. I have read that to make them grow faster to increase the protein. I would like to use 24-27% protein feed. I can only buy about 20% by buying game bird feed. Any suggestions?

thanks!

2. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    I'm surprised that you can only find a 20% game bird feed. My local Agway sells a 22% Southern States unmedicated game starter feed (which is what my Red Broilers are on)

Several folks have posted in the meaties section that they raise Cornish X's for 4H projects and I've read of people feeding those high protein diets so their birds can be even larger for the show ring. I think someone posted that they were feeding over 30% protein!?

My only concern is them getting flip or other issues associated with weight - and growing too fast for their skeletal structure.

Perhaps feeding cooked eggs would increase it? But that would be a lot of eggs.... raise your own mealworms? But I suppose when you increase the protein - it needs to be a complete diet so their other nutritional needs are balanced.

3. fresheggs4u

fresheggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2007
    i have read and heard of people feeding cat food and dog food as a supplement. What is the purpose?

4. homesteadapps

homesteadapps Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    Ohio
    Quote:Higher protein may not be the only option, but to answer your question you could mix in fish meal, roasted soybean, etc... See here: http://homesteadapps.com/app/free/feedcalc/pearsonsquare.php

8lb birds in 7 to 8 weeks :

1. Light 23 hours 7 days a week
    2. Free choice 20% feed from day 1 to last ( feed store or milled)
    3. Keep the area well ventilated if it's hot (fan if 80 degrees or higher)
    4. Clean water at all times.
    5. Keep bedding clean and dry

Our also allowed them to roam outside during the day. They do eat grass, bugs, etc, but the feeder is their favorite place.

We've raised may this way with very few, if any problems.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  5. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Quote:it adds protein

6. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    SB meal, 42% protein

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Soybean meal solvent 44% protein -- 50% crude protein -- 6% crude fat
    Soybean meal solvent 49% protein -- 55% crude protein -- 3% crude fat
    Safflower meal dehulled solubles ---- 48% crude protein -- 9% crude fat
    Linseed meal solvent ------------------- 39% crude protein -- 10% crude fat
    Meat meal -------------------------------- 55% crude protein -- 3% crude fat
    Fish meal ----------------------------------60% crude protein -- 6% crude fat

But I will add that by rising the protein you will also be rising the chances of leg problems.

Chris

8. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    You will need to determine the highest %protein these types of birds can utilize. For example, I recently raised 10 Wade Jean Marans with 8 BBW turkeys. Because of the turkeys started them all on the 28% protein turkey starter. By four weeks I could see the BBW were 3X the size of the marans, yet the food was the same!

THe marans were moved to a 16% chick starter because is is not cost effective to provide a feed that is more expensive(protein%) and they can't utilize it. I keep the BBW on turkey starter.

You'll want to consider 2 things: Will this bird grow more on a higher % protein? and How will that extra protein be provided?

Not all proteins are created equal. If you are adding to a prepared feed, I would suggest a meat based protein, like fish meal or red wigglers, or mealworms. It has all the amino acids ( complete protein) that a bird can use. If you add SBM, be sure that the feed already contains corn. (Corn plus Soy = complete protein.

I wouldn't worry about this small change in the vit/min of the total feed. Most bagged feeds have enough.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by