How to raise rabbits

chickenmama109

Free Ranging
6 Years
Mar 5, 2017
texas
hi I know I’ve been posting a lot about different kinds of animals and I’m sorry about that I’m just trying to find the right one and I did rabbits so I’m gonna get a book about rabbit care but I don’t know much about them any tips are thanked

I have the book Storey's Guide to Raising Rabbits by Bob Bennett. I found it to be a good basic book and it covers just about everything you need to know from getting good breeding stock, to housing, to feeding to butchering. I think it also has pictures and descriptions of rabbit breeds.

hi I know I’ve been posting a lot about different kinds of animals and I’m sorry about that I’m just trying to find the right one and I did rabbits so I’m gonna get a book about rabbit care but I don’t know much about them any tips are thanked

Honestly, I would not even know where to begin about "tips" on rabbits! What do you most want to know to start?

Although I have been having trouble accessing it the last few days, you might want to take a look into a sister site: https://www.backyardherds.com/ because there are many forums for different kinds of livestock there.

I have ten beautiful rabbits all raised from babies. If you have any specific questions please don’t hesitate to ask.

Food: depending on where you live, in the UK we have Burgess Excel nuggets which I consider to be the best. When feeding Adult rabbits, supply them with a small amount of pellets supplemented with Timothy hay (they must have hay at all times) and green veggies (lettuce -romaine, kale, etc) try them out with different ones. Do not feed them peas or corn. Foods like apples, bananas, strawberries, carrots - rabbits love them but feed them as a treat, not everyday as they are too sweet and can upset the rabbits digestive system.

THey must have a constant supply of clean water of course. They can drink from a water bottle with a nozzle on the end (the type you attatch to hutches and cages) or they’d be happy to drink from a bowl - make sure it’s a heavy bowl as they can and will tip it over.

Provide rabbits with lots of love and social company. They love human company but they love to be with other rabbits more. Best pairings are boy and girl/girl and girl/one boy, two girls. Always be on the look out for fighting, it is nasty and if they are left to it there will be catastrophe. If you can, get them spayed/neutered, that reduces chances of fighting but also helps them to stay healthy. Boys are more stable under anaesthetic than girls.

Predators: foxes, hawks, weasels, rats - you name it, they’ll try to attack your rabbits if they are not adequately protected. Rabbits are very sturdy, they can fight attackers but you don’t want to risk it. If you are keeping them in hutches (not recommended) then ensure bolts are not easy to slide open, cover any open areas and wired areas with hard ware cloth. Ensure they have a run to play in in the day, making sure this is also predator proof. If you are going to let them free roam PLEASE think of things that are not obvious but could be dangerous to rabbits such as: unstable cement slabs/paving, gutters, sharp stones/ground, hawks, pools/ponds. Make sure your garden is enclosed with at least 6ft walls and fencing on top.

Supply the bunnies with toys such as balls with bells in, cardboard boxes, carboard toilet roll tubes with hay in, fluffy toys, ramps etc.

They love soil and grass, if you have some in your garden then perfect, if not, grow some, it’s super easy. You can put soil in a tray/tub and let them frolick in it.

Bedding: I personally use newspaper with straw and hay. Sawdust can be very bad for rabbits and other small creatures if inhaled.

Anymore questions, let me know :)

thanks so much for your help im gonna be keeping her n a hutch and will be taking her out every day for a hour or two while i watch her while shes in the hutch if a field mouse comes and gets it what will happen will it hurt her

thanks so much for your help im gonna be keeping her n a hutch and will be taking her out every day for a hour or two while i watch her while shes in the hutch if a field mouse comes and gets it what will happen will it hurt her

That’s fine so long as you let her out for at least two hours or more. You could buy a large run with a roof to put in the field where she’s safe and can graze :) if they stay locked up they can not only become overweight (causing dirty bums and In turn flystrike), but also they can become depressed. I would really consider adding another girl to keep her company as they do best in pairs. That way, when you’re out, they have company. A field mouse should be fine, if it’s a young rabbit though be on the lookout, you don’t want mice/rats to bite them. Be mindful of predators from the air as well. Rabbits are feisty though :) good luck x

if she lives out side in a hutch should i still teach her to use a litter box
Yes of course you can. Find out where she soils the most, usually it’s in one corner - and you can put the litter tray there. Fill it with newspaper and then hay, they can eat the hay whilst on the toilet and they soon learn to go. Some rabbits take to litter trays and some don’t so I wouldn’t be too concerned with that :)

i really like the colony setting over raising them in a hutch or cage. i don't own rabbits but looking into them. there is a lot of good info out there. highly recommend story's guide if your into raising them in a hutch or cage.

now depending on your purpose of the rabbits meat, pets or fiber. will affect how you raise them.

Back
Top Bottom