How to raise sweet chicks & when can the be let out to play?

Welsh Ducky

Songster
Sep 6, 2016
NC Asheville
I have ten chicks that are all 1 week today. I was curious what the temperature had to be in order to let them play in the yard for a few minutes? I have a dog crate with no bottom so I could set it in the grass, and since we have outlets on our front porch, I can bring their heat plate out too, as the cords long enough to stretch to the grass.
Thanks!

Also, 2 of the chicks are Cochin roos, and I picked that breed because I read they are supposed to be very laid back and calm. Is there a certain way I can raise them to be sure they aren’t aggressive roosters?
9ECACAA7-913B-4DFC-98AE-A840FB92FC20.jpeg

Thanks.

I have ten chicks that are all 1 week today. I was curious what the temperature had to be in order to let them play in the yard for a few minutes? I have a dog crate with no bottom that they could play in, and since we have outlets on our front porch, I can bring their heat plate out too, as the cords long enough to stretch to the grass.
Thanks!
If you can supervise them, they can come out now.
Apart form keeping an eye out for predators and making sure they don't get stuck, you need to watch for signs of them being cold. Given you can have the heat plate outside this shouldn't be a problem.

Too many germs on ground. Coccidiosis is a main one which stays in ground for a long time. Dogs carry it. So mine don’t touch ground until they have been dosed at 6-8 weeks with corid. If you decide to try, pick clean area and avoid dew.

The temp at 1 week is around 90.
Cochins are great choice and roosters are great. You did good.

Ps... it is never our decision to be able to raise temperments. Be kind, understanding a roos job and if ugly then cull or get rid of.

Also, 2 of the 10 chicks are Cochin roos, and I picked that breed because I read they are supposed to be very laid back and calm. Is there a certain way I can raise them to be sure they aren’t aggressive?
Thanks.
If you can supervise them, they can come out now.
Apart form keeping an eye out for predators and making sure they don't get stuck, you need to watch for signs of them being cold. Given you can have the heat plate outside this shouldn't be a problem.
Yep, definitely would be sitting with them. I just wanted to make sure they’d be warm and old enough. Thanks!

Too many germs on ground. Coccidiosis is a main one which stays in ground for a long time. Dogs carry it. So mine don’t touch ground until they have been dosed at 6-8 weeks with corid. If you decide to try, pick clean area and avoid dew.

The temp at 1 week is around 90.
Cochins are great choice and roosters are great. You did good.

Ps... it is never our decision to be able to raise temperments. Be kind, understanding a roos job and if ugly then cull or get rid of.
Ok thanks. I did want to try and let them play in the grass, I didn’t stop to think about germs...we’ve had turkeys and cats walk through our yard, would they be leaving germs around the yard?

Her is my secret to making your babies love you!

My babies were 2days old when I got mine.

It’s very easy to do.

You simply hug and pet them at least 3 times a day.

They also like to cuddle in your shirt. Where it’s warm.

I let mine out at ten weeks, live in WV where it’s always raining and it was cold this spring so I let mine out at ten.

6 weeks is the youngest I would let them out. Hey have weak amunsystems at a young age are are more likely to get sick.

Your chick is beautiful!

Her is my secret to making your babies love you!

My babies were 2days old when I got mine.

It’s very easy to do.

You simply hug and pet them at least 3 times a day.

They also like to cuddle in your shirt. Where it’s warm.

I let mine out at ten weeks, live in WV where it’s always raining and it was cold this spring so I let mine out at ten.

6 weeks is the youngest I would let them out. Hey have weak amunsystems at a young age are are more likely to get sick.

Your chick is beautiful!
Ok thanks! I guess I’ll just wait to let them out.

I am on the other side of the 'germ' issue. I let mine out for day trips almost immediately and after about a week brood in the coop. This is how a mama hen would do it... And she can't dose with cordid.
Obviously keeping them away from things that would knowingly make them sick is important, but letting them be chicks and enjoy their chick-hood is important too.

Back
Top Bottom