How to raise the temp a tad

JustTwo

Hatching
10 Years
Feb 18, 2009
Gainesville, FL
Total newbie. Got 2 chicks today, not even sure how old they are, but days, I guess. It's going to get cold over night by this weekend so I have them in a spare, but unheated room. Right now, it's around 60 in the room and only around 82 under the light. The setup is a plastic bin with the lid on sideways so there is an opening at the end with the light clipped on. The floor is cement so I put the bin on a pillow - that raised the temp a few degrees. I turned on all the lights in the room.

My questions are whether they are okay for now at that temp - they are moving all around and seem fine, and what should I do in a few nights when it gets super cold? Any secrets to making it warmer in the bin?

welcome-byc.gif
from TN
You can change bulbs and put a higher wattage bulb in to increase the temp. Or a lower wattage to decrease it. If the chicks are huddled under the light then they are cold. If they are far away from the light they are hot. They usually let you know how they are.
smile.png

Do you have a heat lamp bulb on them. If not then you will need one. 250 watt is what I use. I put mine 18 inches from the bottom. You can tell if they are cold they will huddle together, if the are hot they will make a circle around the light. It is better to have them make a circle than to all huddle together. Hope this helps.

Putting something up against the sides for insulation will help too. Something like pillows (if you have any extras) or maybe wrap the tub in a blanket.
If you do any of these things you'll probably want to check on the temp every so often to make sure it doesn't get too warm in there.
Good luck and have fun with them... they'll be grown up before you know it.

I've got things all around the box for insulation and a towel draped over it. I hope that does the trick for tonight but I don't think it's good enough for the cooler weather later in the week. I guess they'll have to go into a bathroom or closet - we have cats.

It's funny - they temp is often around 82 in there but they are acting as they should, wandering around and never huddling in the cold or warm corner so I am guessing that 95 is not so critical.

average body temp of an adult chicken is 104° and usually babies have higher temps than the adults of the same species. The chicks are also contributing to heating themselves.

It all worked too well! I didn't check the temp but the water was hot and they were huddled in far corner. I am glad they are resilient.

Back
Top Bottom