How to re introduce a chicken back to the flock??

Hi, thanks for thoughts. I understand the pecking order. This one was already "low girl." I know I should keep any mediating to a minimum... In your opinion, does she have to be 100% better (ie NO limp) to go back in with the other 2? I'm afraid to prolong her absence. I've also made sure there was food and treats spread around when they're together.

Dinah knows her place and is being totally deferential, so I'm hopeful this won't take too long. But do you think I should start putting her in the coop at night while she still has the limp?

1f62d.png
1f62d.png
. Thanks. They're out foraging in front of the house now. I just gave them some chopped apple and they were all good. Big sigh...

Hi - similar issue here.

We have 6 hens (2 brahmas, 1 cochin, 1 easter egger, 1 barred rock, and 1 silkie bantam)
We had separated two of them from the rest for over a month (barred rock and silkie) and brought them in the house.

We re-introduced them to the flock yesterday outside. The Brahmas were picking on the silkie (one getting on top of her and pecking the back of her neck). The Barred was not picked on.

We watched them all day and kept them in with the flock at night.

This morning, some that had stopped picking on the silkie yesterday are picking on her again.

What should I do? I am worried that they might gang up and kill her but i am also worried that removing them again will just make things worse if we try to re-introduce again.

Thank you!

Hi. I feel your pain. Someone suggested penning the aggressors for a couple of days, then "reintroducing" THEM. I, sadly, (or maybe not), no longer have any of these dilemmas, as a fox visited in the middle of the day and dispatched my two remaining girls. I had my other hen euthanized 3 weeks before when her previously injured leg apparently "snapped" after running around for a few days in the nice weather--it was a bad, high fracture, according to the vet. I wasn't about to do surgery or splinting and put her through all the accompanying drama and stress. Or myself... Sad...

Oh no. I am so sorry. That is heartbreaking. We had to euthanize two last year (egg bound and dog attakc)

I am trying to figure out how to segregate the two Brahmas. They are so big, I don't think they will fit in the dog crate and still have room for water and food! Fortunately, their coop is a converted horse stall which opens into the barn so there is ample space to roam and keep away from one another if needed.

The first mistake I made was bringing in the Bantam to be with the Barred Rock who was molting. I should have chosen the largest hen to come inside with her. Lesson learned!

Today is getting a little bit better. The bantam is not hiding anymore, just steering clear of the 4... I am checking in on them every hour. I do not hear the upset cackling that was dominant this morning, nor see the intent attacks, and the hens seem mostly to be keeping to themselves although there is, still, pecking at the little one. I am sprinkling down LOTS of treats and talking to them all as I always have hoping that this will calm them. The barred rock is staying with the bantam and "protecting" her.

How long should I give re-introduction?

Wow is this stressful! I hate seeing our sweet, spunky little Bantam getting pecked!

Thanks again so very much for the kind words!

-Aliena (Vermont Mama)

Hi, Aliena. Ah, the pecking order. It broke my heart to see the two girls going after our sweetheart, Dinah. I don't want to deal with that again--I'm too much of a softie! I know it's Nature's Way, but... This was a good experience overall. The 3 would have been a year old right about now. I learned that it was, indeed, necessary to worm them and that having a vet to run to (had to make a few calls before I found one--my dog's vet doesn't do chickens) is sooo important. The folks who try to doctor their chickens using all kinds of "natural" remedies are, in my humble opinion, putting their animals through crazy trial and error treatment.

Yes, it's tremendously stressful to deal with all of the possible illnesses, injuries, and "natural behaviors" among chickens. I was worried sick about how the two dominant hens were treating the other one. I loved them all, but...

As far as reintroducing yours, all you can do is supervise and mediate when you see nasty behavior--some people say not to interfere, but you probably can't stand by and watch, as I couldn't. After a few days things should get back to normal. You are obviously a very caring person.

I wish you best of luck!

Chris

I have just isolated my white star who has a limo and has a red raw patch round her tail and is depleted of feathers. The other 3 hens rain within te coop and enclosure at the bottom of the garden while white star roams free and I lock her in the shed at night. I have made sure I feed her alongside the chicken enclosure at the same time, and we hangs out next to them and tonight tried to sleep next to the coop. I am hoping this approach might lessen any pecking order issues but suspect I may need to take the bully/ bullies out of the enclosure for a couple of days when she gets returned. Any thoughts?

I would isolate any aggressive chicken(s) from the main flock for a few days..this gives the re-introduced bird a chance to re-integrate better...

I have used a vinegar and water solution to spray all of my chickens when I have re-introduced one back to the flock... best to do at night ( on a WARM night... ) and put the returned hen back on the roost...by morning they are accepted better than if they are just put out during the day with the main flock.

Good luck!

Can you tell me about the solution of vinegar and water you used? Was it white vinegar? How long was your chicken away from the flock? I have to reintroduce one hen back after 5 days and I’m worried. Any advice would help.
Thank you

Hi, All. I'm going through reintroduction now. We had to separate one of our 3 hens due to injury--don't know what happened, but she had a small scratch above one eye and a bad limp. She's been in a "luxury" pen in our barn workshop. We 've taken her out of it for dust bathing and some foraging since she's improved (after about a week and a half). Now the tricky part: reintroduction to her sisters. It's been 3wks today. She still has a limp, but not bad. I've been giving her supervised time for 2-3hrs a day for the past 4 days. After day one, I had to buy some Blue Wound Lotion, as they took a couple of nips out of her comb, and drew blood. Ugh. They're still giving pecks, but more superficial. I still supervise them. Yesterday was her best "playdate" with them, foraging a large area around the barn and over to our house. Fingers crossed...

It's very stressful for the hens and us. Hope we won't have to go through this again anytime soon. But I'm still worried about returning her to the coop. She's been in it and then has come back out of it. What's a mother to do...
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
I have been dealing with the exact same thing. Pulled one out limping, she is better, tried to reintroduce but they are going after her as a mob of 2 or 3. Giving time together out in the yard and she keeps a little distance. Trying a couple hours together a day in large space. Tried putting her back one night but they instantly were on alert and not letting go her up the roost. Good luck! :)

Back
Top Bottom