How to regain the trust of a spooked chicken?

MogusBogus

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2021
Hi everybody! Im a noob here and I made a bit of a blunder while hanging out with some of our chickens. If you wanna skip the preamble, just go to the third paragraph. We've had a flock of 12 for about 7 weeks now, and I've managed to gain a good amount of trust with at least 3 of our hens. Keep in mind that we got them as adults, not chicks, so they're not the most tame or used to us yet. Anyways, after I had noticed that 3 of our chickens actually came up running for me to see if I had any handouts and would stay by my side when I went about my business, as well as eat out of my hand, I decided to test the waters and see if any of them were okay with being handled.

The first one, I didn't try to pick up. Instead, I would just gently stroke her chest or back while she foraged and stood near me, and while she didn't really like it at first, she's grown to like it, or at the very least tolerate it. With the next chicken, I decided to try and handle her. I used the cornering method, and gently picked her up and cradle her like a football like I've seen in handling guides and youtube videos. Initially she panicked when I pined her and picked her up, but she didnt put up a fight and she calmed down within the first 2 minutes of being held, and actually started to fall asleep in my arms after awhile! I didnt attempt to pet her, but I did gently talk to her and let her know she wasn't in danger. After about 5-6 minutes, I put her down and let her go about her business. She made no attempt to run away or attack after being put down, but she did make some seemingly frustrated clucks. Idk if she was mad about being put down or for being picked up in the first place, but im guessing its the latter. Thankfully she still follows me and eats out of my hand like nothing happened, so im glad she doesn't appear to be shook by the experience.

The third chicken though... was a doozy. Yesterday while I was out feeding the flock, I went about doing it the same way I did with the second hen, but she managed to slip the line and I could tell she was not pleased. I decided to wait another half hour or so to let her cool down, as I had hoped that would be enough time for her to calm down and go back to normal. Unfortunately that turned out to be a VERY stupid idea, and hindsight is 20/20 now. Anyways, upon my second attempt, it went even worse. She didnt attack and she wasnt harmed, but when she escaped my grip again, she was full on SPRINTING like her life depended on it. I didnt bother chasing her since I know that kind of stuff scares the holy hell out of chickens, but I could tell she was on full alert and was doing her best to avoid me. I decided to leave her be and just went back inside. Fast forward a few hours, and I decide to go out and check the mail, and I see her casually foraging out in our yard like she usually does. I decided to take this opportunity to grab some mealworms for her, and very slowly approach her with a calm tone of voice and go down to her eye level a few feet away. I didnt want to hand feed her since she was clearly still shaken up, so I decided to gently toss some mealworms near her. She didn't run away, but she was in no mood to eat it seemed. I decided to take the hint and back away some more, and put the bag of mealworms down and simply sit down and just let her do her thing. After a few seconds I notice her slowly tip-toeing her way to me, and I did my best to keep still and calm to let her know she wasnt in danger. She ended up slowly walking around me, then jogged off to the other end of the yard.

Sorry, I know this is probably longer than it needs to be, I just feel so bad for spooking her so much, and I can tell she's not pleased when she sees me now. She doesn't run away, but she gets very cautious and will speed walk away if I get too close. What can I do to regain her trust and let her know I mean no harm? I wont be trying to handle her or my other chickens again after this whole thing, its just not worth the risk of ruining days or even weeks worth of trust and bond building unless its for something serious like an inspection for bumble foot or other medical issues. The other 2 chickens still seem to enjoy my company, and the rest of the flock seems indifferent, but I can tell she's shook. I just feel bad, and I hope the other chickens don't become fearful of me too because of how she acts around me ):

Last edited:
Do not be too worried. Her behavior is normal, and you have not lost her trust forever. Take every opportunity to toss her treats when you are among the birds. The more normal you and the other birds behave, the more comfortable she will feel. Singling her out, or watching her constantly, may make her nervous, as those are predator behaviors.

Remember that not all birds enjoy being picked up, so she may be one you that you can enjoy from a little distance.

T
Do not be too worried. Her behavior is normal, and you have not lost her trust forever. Take every opportunity to toss her treats when you are among the birds. The more normal you and the other birds behave, the more comfortable she will feel. Singling her out, or watching her constantly, may make her nervous, as those are predator behaviors.

Remember that not all birds enjoy being picked up, so she may be one you that you can enjoy from a little distance.
Thank you for the reassurance, it was just disheartening since this is the first time any of our hens have reacted in such a fearful way towards me and I was worried I messed things up for good with this poor thing. How long do you think it'll take before she gets used to hand feeding again, if ever?

When she is ready, and not a day before. She will, though. Wait until you have to catch some up to deworm or do a medical check! You would think they are being brutally murdered. But they get over it.
Understood, I'll do my best to be patient with the little lady! On a side note, while I was holding the other hen, I noticed she started "smacking" her beak while she was starting to fall asleep? If you dont know what im talking about, this is the only clip I'm able to find that shows the behavior:

Any idea what this means? I normally only see my some of my chickens do it when they settle down for a nap. Is it just a sign of comfort?

Understood, I'll do my best to be patient with the little lady! On a side note, while I was holding the other hen, I noticed she started "smacking" her beak while she was starting to fall asleep? If you dont know what im talking about, this is the only clip I'm able to find that shows the behavior:

Any idea what this means? I normally only see my some of my chickens do it when they settle down for a nap. Is it just a sign of comfort?
Yes! It means relaxed/content. My parrotlet does it, my lovebird used to do it, my chickens do it when they are in a nice place and feel safe. It's like a peaceful bird thing 🕊️

I decided to take this opportunity to grab some mealworms for her, and very slowly approach her with a calm tone of voice and go down to her eye level a few feet away. I didnt want to hand feed her since she was clearly still shaken up, so I decided to gently toss some mealworms near her.
Maybe it would help to move away from the chicken rather than trying to approach her. You could have treats in a container, show them to her and shake the container, and then back away, spilling a few treats and enticing her to follow you for more. I know that with dogs, at least, moving something away from them makes them want to follow it, while pushing something into their space can often have a negative effect.

Yes! It means relaxed/content. My parrotlet does it, my lovebird used to do it, my chickens do it when they are in a nice place and feel safe. It's like a peaceful bird thing 🕊️
aww how cute! Good to know its nothing bad :)
Maybe it would help to move away from the chicken rather than trying to approach her. You could have treats in a container, show them to her and shake the container, and then back away, spilling a few treats and enticing her to follow you for more. I know that with dogs, at least, moving something away from them makes them want to follow it, while pushing something into their space can often have a negative effect.
Yeah you're probably right. I think I'll do what muttsfan said, to send some treats her way when im out with the flock, but otherwise leave her be. Hopefully she'll be back to her normal self within the next few days.

My flock is pretty tame and goes through phases where they really enjoy being picked up. Lately though, one is very timid. We have too many predators like hawks for me to let them free-range without a guard. Well, timid lady. a red sex link, will not cooperate with returning to the run. She gouged me pretty badly today. I let the other three out of the run at midday but not her. I want to try some tlc. She will come within arms' length for treats but is very much on her guard. BTW, the others are concerned and came running over not just for treats but to see what's up with her and me. Nobody is off on laying and there is no rooster with my hybrid honeys. Maybe I 'll just sit in the run? It is hot and dry here right now, but water is fresh and sometimes I give electrolytes. They are panting in the first really hot days of the year. One year olds. Help?

Attachments

• 20201003_110216.jpg
    20201003_110216.jpg
    782.8 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom