How to Reignite my Passion for Chickens

Today my dog got in the coop and killed 4 chickens 3 of which were my favorite, at this point I am ready to give my chickens away and start on something that does not involve birds. My previous flock of 7 was killed by coyotes all at once before this. I just don't know what to do.
That is horrible, sorry to hear that. My dog attacked my hen and she was so close to death, I would have felt terrible had she died, so I can’t imagine how you’re feeling. I literally didn’t speak to my dog for a week. Sorry to hear about your previous flock as well.

If you’re looking to reignite your chicken passion I would just try to think back to why you got them in the first place. I know from watching my mom have chickens for several years now she has had a lot of loss too and while she cries when they die she is always happy they could live a happy life, even if it was short. I feel the same way, but I had to tell myself before getting them that my chickens are livestock and although they all have names I tell myself not to expect them to live long so if I manage to keep them safe with a little luck they do live long lives that’s a blessing. It’s hard to be someone who loves and cares for animals, just know everyone here feels for you :hugs

I am so sorry, that had to be hard to take and it is doubly hard to know your pet dog hurt them..😦 I had a few things like that happen at first, but as I began to change my coop and make it more secure I was much more happy and relaxed with the chicks.- The day my dog hurt and killed a few of mine I really fussed at him ( the boxer in the painting I use as my avatar) I put him in the dog pen and scolded him every time I walked by- now he is very good with the chickens and I can even leave home for a few hours and know he will not mess with them- So look forward to getting in a better place with your next batch. 🤗

I lost a lot of meat birds and a few of my hens last year and I gave the last 3 of my hens away... I started a new flock this year but I still miss my girls. They're doing well with their new family but I kinda wish I still had them. I'm sorry for your loss 🤧 🥀

I lost a lot of meat birds and a few of my hens last year and I gave the last 3 of my hens away... I started a new flock this year but I still miss my girls. They're still doing well with their new family but I kinda wish I still had them. I'm sorry for your loss 🤧 🥀
I am sorry about this, I only had 11 chickens and now I have 7 and one is a lone bantam, and I have two cockerels

Also I am assuming you had this happen to you too, what did you guys do to train your dogs to not attack chickens. He is a 1.5 year old Whippet Border Collie mix and can squeeze through pretty small holes if he is determined

Back
Top Bottom