How to remove the blood-iron taste in quail meat?

potatoyay

Chirping
Apr 17, 2023
Tried some quail meat today. Didn't love it. It had a strong metallic, bloody taste. I really wanted to like it, since we raise quail anyway for eggs, we could use some for meat too. Is it possible to reduce that bloody taste by cooking it a certain way or by adding it to something, or adding something to it? If anyone has any tips, thanks so much.

Tried some quail meat today. Didn't love it. It had a strong metallic, bloody taste. I really wanted to like it, since we raise quail anyway for eggs, we could use some for meat too. Is it possible to reduce that bloody taste by cooking it a certain way or by adding it to something, or adding something to it? If anyone has any tips, thanks so much.
Did you process the quail yourself?

Quail is one meat that definitely doesn’t taste like chicken. Recipes with a lot of other flavors going on might help. Like breaded with heavy Indian spicesin the flour, or marinated in teriyaki then fried in sesame oil. Baked in a grape jelly / hoisin glaze ain’t bad, despite how it sounds. Mustard plays well with it too.

I’ve always enjoyed quail- but I’ve only hunted them...
Dietary differences may be the difference
But I would take the breasts, fillet them if large enough, dredge in flour w a bit of salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic mixed in, then egg/milk, then corn flake crumbs or similar small breading, fry quickly.

I remember not liking the ones I overcooked lol

I’ve never tried to roast one....

As mentioned above, diet, how they were processed can have a definite affect on the 'taste' of the meat. I have never encountered that with any of my birds or with wild quail.

Back
Top Bottom