how to round up escapers?

tygab

Songster
11 Years
Mar 14, 2008
MA/NH border
so I made the mistake of going to freshen the coop midday (I have in past tried to do this at a time where the daylight will help get them back in). One escaped from the run area and I am on my own to try and catch her. Unfortunately she is a fraidy cat and won't let me approach or even herd her back to her friends. I finally gave up and am watching them all run around now, but I really wanted to go out and do some errands.

I do let them out but as mentioned only in the evenings when I have nowhere else to be, and dusk will corral them back up for me...

Anyone have good techniques to round up free chickens? The problem is to get her to the door, I have to be there to open it... If I'm at the door, she'll run right on by.

At least they are happy... and I will eat lunch while pondering my next move.

Last edited:
If i get a can of scratch, they will follow me anywhere i lead. Do you give them scratch? Once they love it, you will be able to round them up anytime.

My DH has an old broom handle that he has dubbed a chicken herding stick. We don't actually touch the chickens with the stick we just use it as an extension of our arms. It helps when the chicken tries to cut out in the opposite direction of what you want. Hope this helps. We also throw scratch in the run sometimes this works but not always.

Good idea - at the moment I don't because I hadn't gotten there yet (these are my first). But I will get some scratch on my feed store trip - one of the errands I wanted to do.

In the meanwhile, this one didn't respond to attempts with cheerios or blackberries. Nope, she just wanted to try and get away from me...

i usually find mine hanging around trying to get back in with the others. this morning actually one was outside the run so i just opened the side and she ran in. some of mine are friendlier than others and this one was afraid but her desire to get back in over ruled being afraid of me. I talk quietly to them, dont make sudden movements and give them treats, that seems to help and more and more they come over to check me out if im quiet. some run from me and squak but if i catch and hold them for a while they quiet down and after a while arent so afraid.

I do something silimiar to Chickaree but I use 2 light weight peach tree (or anykind of small tree) branches. They are about 6 feet long, slightly curved, and light weight so I can herd them from a distance. One branch in each hand while walking behind them. You don't need to touch at all.

Favorite treats work as well, but sometimes, if my flock thinks they haven't been out long enough, and they don't want to come back to the coop yet, I have to play herder.

Anne

oh definitely, nighttime requires no roundup.

Fortunately, my immediate problem has been solved .... by Mother Nature! T-storms rolling in as we speak, they all wanted in, and I'll be off to the errands shortly.

Thanks, all!

Back
Top Bottom