How to run corrugated roof panels

rjackh

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 16, 2014
Central Texas
I am replacing the roof on a coop I bought a couple years ago. I never was happy with the way the original roof performed, although it looked really neat. Here is the original:

I am stripping the panels off and pulling the nails to save the wood for another project. I was planning to rip a treated 2x4, add sections of bracing between the original rafters. Then I wanted to replace the roof with corrugated roofing panels. My question: Do I have to run the ridges down the roof on the panels, or can I run the ridges lengthwise (1st vs 2nd pic below).

Running the ridges the length of the coop is going to be so much easier on me, and will prevent me from snagging a shirt or arm on a sharp cut edge of the metal. I am just concerned that the roof wouldn't allow water to run off very well that way. I don't mind setting the coop in the yard an inch high on one side to provide some slope for runoff. Thanks for any advice.

You can actually run them either way. It's a personal preference. If it was a larger project (your home, large shed etc) I'd say ridge down, but for the coop lengthwise would work. Lifting it an inch or two on front or rear would help with runoff. If it's easier on you do it. Just fold a piece in half over the center as a cap and your set to go

Last edited:
If your roof angle is too shallow and you lay the panels running horizontally, you may have issues with the water pooling in the troughs. This may lead to early rust issues.

Are you sure you want a metal roof? Traditionally, they were frowned upon as birds give off lots of moisture which likely as not will condense on the bare metal, and rain down upon them. I know that is the case with my un-insulated metal roofed horse barn. Put horses in the box stalls overnight and if it is cold that night you will find water drips throughout the building the next morning.

Am curious if folks with tight houses and metal roofs also find that to be the case with chicken coops?

I am now thinking about building a light plywood deck for the roof and skinning it with valley roll flashing.
9e14d4940a52338e50b649efdad97cc9.jpg

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am now thinking about building a light plywood deck for the roof and skinning it with valley roll flashing.
9e14d4940a52338e50b649efdad97cc9.jpg

Thoughts?

Sealing the nail holes on that will be challenging.

Any particular reason you don't want to use good ol' asphalt shingles?

What if I use these?
02781a66409ff5b12663eacce73daad2.jpg

Wouldn't valley tin or corrugated metal be easier to install? And I would prefer the look of those two over shingles.

run the ridges down the slope of the roof, as in the first picture.

leave enough over hang, and fold the corner under to prevent the sharp corner from getting you.

If I was at the house, I'd show you a pic of what I mean.

Back
Top Bottom