How to Safely mark Ducklings for sex identification

Quote:
You mean 'duck' tape?
wink.png

Just kidding.

I've heard/read of that too! Problem is, the people were complaining of how often they had to remark their babies.
lol.png

It went along the lines of "I don't even have time to paint my own toes! How can I paint {x amount} of birds?!"

I've been wondering about this a lot also since I'll hopefully be having lots of babies this spring and want to remember who is from who. I really like the idea of nail polish since putting anything on their legs would have to be replaced as they get older. I freaked out when I had to take the ties off my day olds when they were delivered.

The thought of doing anything to their webs just terrifies me, but I bet it's the easiest once you get use to it. Do it once and it's done.

I've seen it done, and you have to make sure you have a sharp tool or you might have to punch over the hole again to get the flap out of the hole.
hmm.png

But it's not like it's a bother; I mean, the baby doesn't notice until you actually do it, they peep for a few seconds, and it's over. It just heals and gets bigger as they grow.
idunno.gif

And make sure not to hit a vein/blood vessel, or you'll have blood flying all over when they kick. :hmm;

i tried the toe nail thing. that was my first idea. the nail is sooooo tiny on these hatchlings it was just too hard to do! I tried the zip tie, but i think the ones my husband gave me were just too heavy , and i was afraid to make it tight and they kept coming off! Im working on it!

Quote:
You're making me worry and I'm not even there yet!
hmm.png

Nah, they let me try it, it's like clipping a toenail.

No worries!
big_smile.png

Just put disinfectant on it, and monitor the opening.
No complications from it yet.

Back
Top Bottom