How to Sell Ducklings

ChickForLife

Walking my Chicken
Apr 22, 2020
🌲Connecticut🌲
I don't know if I should post this in this forum or not but here goes.

I am not selling duckling or teaching how to sell ducklings like the title may suggest, but am learning how to sell ducklings. I know this is a big topic but why not.

So I am getting 4 ducklings on June 1st-3rd. My order was 1 Welsh Harlequin Drake, 1 Welsh Harlequin Hen, 1 Blue Swedish hen, and 1 Black Cayuga hen. I wanted to get Anconas but no one had them in stock so that was a no go. I also wanted runners but I just decided to get these and add on later with breeding and new ducklings.

With this batch I am thinking of selling Welsh Harlequin hatching eggs. I also want to sell crossbreed eggs but I don't know how. That is pretty much why I made this thread, to get advice on selling mixed breed duck hatching eggs, but to also gather tips on selling hatching eggs and day old chicks.

Thanks! :D

OK. Look into NPIP Certification - it provides buyers some assurances your flock is (common) disease free, and may be free in your state.

Look at State and Local requirements for cottage businesses and the selling of hatching eggs. Federal EIN? Business License? State Sales Tax ID? Do you want to form an LLC to protect your assets from claims against your business?

How will you advertise? Craigslist? Who are your local competitors?

Understand that mixed breed birds will bring less than pure, that ducks aren't frequent layers, and that your flock size is NOT large enough to be self sustaining. and finally, understand that people seeking purebreds do so for reasons, and won't want to buy one bird at a time - though you will need a month to incubate each time, and will likely only be collecting eggs 2 days of 3. So your opportunities for revenue will be few and far between. Oh, and that it will be many, many months before any of your birds are laying, and man many more before their offspring can add to your flock.

In short, your current business plan seems (to me) to be doomed to failure. It only works at scale, and that same scale magnifies your losses if it fails, but its the only way I foresee even the possibility of breaking even.

OK. Look into NPIP Certification - it provides buyers some assurances your flock is (common) disease free, and may be free in your state.

Look at State and Local requirements for cottage businesses and the selling of hatching eggs. Federal EIN? Business License? State Sales Tax ID? Do you want to form an LLC to protect your assets from claims against your business?

How will you advertise? Craigslist? Who are your local competitors?

Understand that mixed breed birds will bring less than pure, that ducks aren't frequent layers, and that your flock size is NOT large enough to be self sustaining. and finally, understand that people seeking purebreds do so for reasons, and won't want to buy one bird at a time - though you will need a month to incubate each time, and will likely only be collecting eggs 2 days of 3. So your opportunities for revenue will be few and far between. Oh, and that it will be many, many months before any of your birds are laying, and man many more before their offspring can add to your flock.

In short, your current business plan seems (to me) to be doomed to failure. It only works at scale, and that same scale magnifies your losses if it fails, but its the only way I foresee even the possibility of breaking even.
Where do I find the requirements? I just want to be able so sell hatching eggs legally.

Probably Ebay and Etsy for hatching eggs, and Craigslist and word of mouth for day old chicks.

This is not really a business opportunity but more of a slight way to make some money to pay for some feed because hatching eggs sell for a lot, and for fun.

Maybe I can name the crosses as a new breed so it looks like they are an actual breed?

I don't care about breaking even as I said before, just a way to get some money and hatch some eggs.

Start with your Secretary of State, your Division of Consumer Protection, and your Division of Agriculture. Check your state laws. Do you need a Permit? What are your local (County, City) Regulations??? Does the local College have anything useful to say?

What are your costs (birds, feed, etc?) How much are your competitors charging? Shipping expenses?? Signage?

You have a LOT of research to do first. Then you can decide if what you are imagining is worthwhile to do legally, or is just a fantasy.

Back
Top Bottom