How to sell meat birds

Thank you, I feel as you do, that the more that all animals are treated humanely and given a dignified merciful death, that the better the world becomes. I was thinking, if everyone would do this, it would move toward shutting down those horrible commercial operations. My husband told me to grow up, that the world has to be fed, and better they are fed our happy truly free range chickens, who eat well and forage as well as stealing dog food duck food horse food and everything else. We have 4 roosters, and 4 that hatched last week, 2 last night, and 2 hatching as we speak. Every morning is an Easter egg hunt because who knows where on 5 acres they hide their eggs. They are safe from predators because of the Great Pyrenees and German Shepherd who patrol 24/7. So they go wherever they please. In studying the life of commercial companies, the conditions, and the feeding with hormones and antibiotics, I know that ours are so healthy, and healthier for peoples children. That is where all the idea came from.
Thanks

I’m sure you have heard of chickens running around with their heads cut off, a good butcher won’t do this but hang onto the feet until the bird stops muscle spasming.

Time to buy a killing cone. no need to hold onto the bird, and bird cannot run around. Bird is calm and stays calm.

if everyone would do this, it would move toward shutting down those horrible commercial operations.

Not likely. Many people would be disinterested in raising birds or other meats or simply don't have the space. Just because people live in the country - everyone doesn't have a garden nor do they raise meat, because they are not able or not interested, or not knowledgeable.

feeding with hormones and antibiotics

Commercial operations have much oversight - chickens grow so fast they are NOT given hormones - it would be an added expense and the commercial operations aren't going to spend money where not needed. antibiotics in chickens are not likely either for the same reason. However, it is my understanding that antibiotics are not allowed into the human food chain, so when an animal receives antibiotics they cannot enter human food chain.

For a realistic perspective, I would recommend that you read a few books such as Harvey Ussery's The Small-Scale Poultry Flock. Might even look up something by Joel Salatin, even though I think his tractors are too heavy and large to manage easily.

From what you have written above, it sounds like you are being influenced by an interest/pressure group which is quite poorly-informed about chickens or sustainable egg and meat production.

You should be confident that your eggs are clean, healthy, and nutritious. Even if you don't like eating meat, you can be satisfied that the eggs came from your farm and from your standards of cleanliness.

What are you going to do when you have 8 roosters running around bugging the hens, when just one (or for eggs, 0) is enough?

I applaud your interest in incubating and hatching eggs, but you do need to have a realistic plan, especially for the males. Inviting a mobile processing outfit to the farm would be a great idea, but that means they all need to be done on the same day, and you need adequate chiller or freezer space for them.

My greatest concern is the humane treatment of the birds. They have a wonderful life here, I wont have it ended in some macabre way. I think that for that, the best thing will be to hire people to come here and process them, then they never have the stress of leaving their home.
Thank you for bringing up the rooster fighting, I will never sell a live bird now. I refuse to contribute to any kind of inhumane treatment, particularly for the entertainment of the insane.
Thanks
This is an issue that simply doesn't exist with meat-type chickens.

Thank you, I feel as you do, that the more that all animals are treated humanely and given a dignified merciful death, that the better the world becomes. I was thinking, if everyone would do this, it would move toward shutting down those horrible commercial operations. My husband told me to grow up, that the world has to be fed, and better they are fed our happy truly free range chickens, who eat well and forage as well as stealing dog food duck food horse food and everything else. We have 4 roosters, and 4 that hatched last week, 2 last night, and 2 hatching as we speak. Every morning is an Easter egg hunt because who knows where on 5 acres they hide their eggs. They are safe from predators because of the Great Pyrenees and German Shepherd who patrol 24/7. So they go wherever they please. In studying the life of commercial companies, the conditions, and the feeding with hormones and antibiotics, I know that ours are so healthy, and healthier for peoples children. That is where all the idea came from.
Thanks
Do yours not lay in or have nest boxes? Do you have broody hens? What breeds are you raising?

Back
Top Bottom