How to sell rare hatching Mountain Quail eggs? (Newbie, lots of Q's)

lanimilbus

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 3, 2008
Central Maine
Last year I got three pairs of Mountain Quail that I’ve been raising as a hobby; I don’t intend to breed them and got them mostly due to an interest in the species and to observe them together as a colony in an outdoor aviary resembling their natural habitat that I built as a personal project last summer. Turns out this “project” ended up costing about 20 times more than I had anticipated, as did the quail themselves. Still, they’ve been thriving and it’s been very interesting and rewarding having them around and watching their behaviors.

Anyway, today I got my first eggs; four in fact, that had been laid in a nest they built out of pine branches. In doing some research into Mountain Quail eggs I discovered two things: One, they don’t lay them very often (between 5 and 30 a year according to most sources) and Two, there seems to be quite a high demand for them online with prices between $8.00 and $15.00 per egg. This makes me feel like I’m wasting a precious resource by not having any plans to hatch the eggs (I was just intending to eat them) and also of course has me thinking about recouping some of my extensive financial losses from my “2010 Outdoor Quail Aviary” project by selling the eggs to those who’d like to purchase them.

But I’m new to this species and have also never sold eggs before so I figured I would check here to find out what exactly would be involved in doing so and if it’s something I’d be up for.

So, a few questions…pardon my ignorance as I really am entirely new to this.

1.) What’s the general process involved in selling hatching eggs? I searched for a “how to” guide on it but couldn’t find anything. What are the basics and the need-to-know info?
2.) How fresh do the eggs have to be when being sold/shipped? Should they be laid on the same day as shipment, several days prior to shipment etc
3.) What care of the eggs needs to be taken between the time they’re collected and the point at which they’re shipped out? Is any special equipment needed?
4.) Does the shipping need to be overnight, next day/2-day etc?
5.) What’s the process for determining whether the quail eggs are fertile or not? Is it any different than with regular full-sized chicken eggs?
6.) Each of my three pairs of Mountain Quail come from a different breeder and a different bloodline and all six birds are raised together. Does this make their eggs more or less valuable?
7.) Any other information I should know? I want to be sure that if I do this I have all the facts first and do it right since it’s my first time attempting anything like this and I’d hate for people to spend so much money on eggs that never hatch due to some failure of mine.

Thanks in advance for any and all help/info!

Wow. Sounds like you do have some valuable eggs there! My suggestion would be to post these questions on the Quail forum and/or the Buy/Sell/Auction forum under Hatching eggs for sale.

There is info at the top of each the B/S/A forums that will tell you a lot about shipping eggs. Or you do your own search for how to ship eggs. (Everyone has their own method)

I have never shipped or hatched quail so I don't have anything to offer there....this is the best I can do!

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom