How to separate a broody duck?

RisingMoonFarm

Chirping
7 Years
May 17, 2015
Isle of Skye
Not sure if I should post this in the hatching forum instead, but it is duck specific, so I figured I'll try here first.

Last year all 8 of our ducks went broody at once and insisted on sharing a nest, which resulted in half developed, dead ducklings and no eggs for us all summer! I would like to avoid that scenario this year by separating just one (or maybe two) broody/ies and letting her/them hatch babies while breaking the others.

Has anyone successfully moved a broody duck and her nest or would I be better off barricading the nest and keeping the others away? With the hens I have portable nest boxes and I just put the broody with the nest box into a dog crate where she happily stays put and goes about her business of growing babies. However the ducks refuse to use any box I offer and proceed to find their own spot in the coop, which they share with the chickens and geese (the latter have a separate compartment, because they like to bully the rest). They all usually lay in the same nest.
I am a bit apprehensive about locking the broody duck in, because she will still need get up to wash and move about. Do people just provide a basin for them?

Any tips on logistics and management would be greatly appreciated! I would much rather leave the ducks to raise their own babies than fussing about with an incubator and brooder, as it works so well with our mama hen and results in much sturdier and healthier chicks.

I do have a secure run for mama and babies once they are hatched so they can be out and about without getting harassed, but that wouldn't be suitable for hatching.

3 ducks went broody last year during a spring heatwave and had made nests about 2 city house lots away from their coop (in the direct sun, of course.) I moved the nests and eggs inside, blocked off access to the chosen nesting area, and kept the girls inside at night as usual. 2 returned to the nests, 1 abandoned. Jasmine haphardly sat. Salty left her nest at about 20 days to start another. Jasmine then decided it was time to sit and Salty's new nest was clearly the better one. They mostly shared with some squabbles.

Most of the ducklings died near hatching time :(, but one lived. It became WWIII between the protective mommas and the lone survivor. So much so they'd trampled and severly injured the duckling's leg 3 times.

This year I have two broodies who are best friends. They were sharing but I put two nestboxes right next to each other, split the eggs, picked up one mom and sent her into the other box and that was that. So far so good. They occasionally swap nests but are not doubling up. The biggest issue I have so far is a raiding drake since he is obsessed with these two over his other 3 girls.

I also have a goose sitting, so am also worried about goslings and ducklings hatching together after last year's battles. Hopefully with so many there will be enough babies for all.

Edit for clarification. Last year, just bare open nests moved from the outside in. This year, I found nestboxes they actually use.

Last edited:
I have two broody mallard hens that do everything together, so when they decided to share a nest I wasn't too worried about their dynamics. I did put temporary fencing around their nest and immediate area though to keep the rest of the flock out. They can see each other but can't get to each other. I had a small swimming tub in there for the mamas but then had a duckling get stuck in it on day 1 or 2 so took it away for a few days. Gave it back once the babies were a bit bigger and I knew they could get out.

All eight, what breed?!
When mine went broody last year, I shut the door of the coop when she was out but kept it otherwise open until they hatched. When one hatched, she and the duckling had the run to them selves all day, and in the evening they had the coop and a wire half circle around the door.
That's the best way I could explain it. I don't if it will work for you, I couldn't visualize your setup. Good luck!

I have a similar problem. My Muscovy flock is separated into 2 coops, (1 drake with 4 ducks) spring to fall. In one coop, a single duck is sitting on peacock eggs. (Don't tell her I made a switch). In the second coop I have 3 ducks sitting together on 12 duck eggs. All three are there all day packed together except for short breaks for food and water but the nest is never left without at least one duck.
Long story but I remove the peacock eggs as soon as they start to pip and finish hatching inside. My plan is to steal 3 of the 12 eggs to put under this duck so she actually gets to hatch something.
I am in the process of building a temporary coop to protect the other ducklings as they hatch. I'm debating moving most of the nest, some of the remaining eggs, and one of the broody ducks into the temporary coop just before hatch date. Is this too risky or should I just leave things as they are? 3 broody ducks with 9 eggs, the drake, and one other duck who is bottom of pecking order.

I have never try to move a duck only because I've read that they won't take to the new spot. I don't know if it is true. I have always had success moving chicken by locking them in large dog kennels. I have 20 ducks hens with about half playing around with broody. They are in an uncovered run along the house with a dog enclosed in it at night as well. Laying in the same nest is an issue. What I have done is fenced the broody nest off from the flock. I do not keep them shut all day. I close them at night and then open them when the others have finished laying. For the most part ducks are good about laying right away in the morning. Also when I have determined the duck is broody enough I raid her current nest and place fresh eggs or leave an appropriate number about the same time as the fence goes up.

Thank you all for the replies! The ducks were sold to us as Aylesbury, but I think they are a cross. Only half of them have the pink bill, they are not quite as heavy as I think they should be and they seem to lay a lot more eggs than I expected from Aylesburies.
All our birds free range, as flockdown has been lifted in Scotland.
I let them out in the morning, collecting the duck and goose eggs and shut them up at night, separating the geese and collecting the chicken eggs.

What I have done is fenced the broody nest off from the flock. I do not keep them shut all day. I close them at night and then open them when the others have finished laying.
This might work, if I boot the other ducks out of the coop first and if I can keep the chicken hens from joining the broody duck. A couple of them prefer the duck nest, even when there are no eggs in it.

It's the mornings I am at work that things might get iffy, as instructions are not always thoroughly followed by the rest of the family 😜.

I have always provided large dog crates in the pen area...plastic works but I do cover any holes with 1/4 inch hardware cloth, using fender washers and small bolts. One for each pair...it's quite comical how the talk about them walk in and out just like Zillow has dropped a present...I add one every other day in different areas...when I know breeding season is starting ...usually April/May here. I don't add them all at once as it seems to stress them. I line it with fresh alfalfa and dried grass..they pick their nest and then if necessary I can move them...I just do it a lil each day..I close the duck in at night..no water no food..I open it during day. After ducks hatch..I surround both mama and her nest with fencing so no one drake's ducks ECT can enter here area..i have had.drake's kill duckling. Or want to keep breeding mama and nest gets destroyed..I provide a round trash can lid upside down with a brick in middle..mama can drink but not bathe...and duckling can drink and bathe without fear of drowning...drake's are not allowed back with Mama's and babies until 8 to 10 weeks ..which is when my breeds are pretty much grown...I free range. Only locking up at night....

Back
Top Bottom