How to separate.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Poultrybonkers, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2011
    Is their a way to separate my roosters from my hens so I don't get to many fertile eggs? I can't build another coop as I don't have money to do so. Is their any other way for separate them?

2. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    One idea is to let the roos free range.

Do you have them in a wooden coop? We keep ours in a chain-link dog pen and with the help of some chicken wire we can fence off an area for them.

Just curious, what's wrong with fertile eggs?

3. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2011
    My hens keep sneaking out and free range so if the males is out with them that's won't help mine are in a fenced in area with a shed to sleep in at night.
    My mom said every egg they will lay will be fertile. Which is what I want but she don wanto buy eggs. My hens haven't even started laying.

4. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Quote:You can eat fertile eggs. I have never tried them but from what I have heard they taste the same. [​IMG]

5. Gerry2011

Gerry2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    There isn't any difference in taste that I've ever noticed. Taste diffence will come from whether the hens range or are only fed commercial feed. The only difference you may notice is a small blob....sorry I can't think what to call it...some one please help!!)....that is the future fuzzy butt. If that bothers you just separate it out. If you are eating these eggs within a few days you probably won't see anything different from an unfertilized egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by