how to seperate your eggs at hatch? and lockdown ?'s

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kenneth Flippen, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Kenneth Flippen

Kenneth Flippen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2010
    I'm using a Little Giant from TSC I have 4 breeds in there two lines of Red Quill which I definately want to keep seperate 4 eggs of one 7 of the other. two lines of grey, one egg of each. I think I should be able to tell the Red Quill from the greys at hatch but the seven eggs are shipped eggs and I have no idea what they will look like the other 4 are from my birds. any ideas will appreciated.

also any tips for lockdown they are due on 7/15(day 21) lockdown will be on 7/12 correct? they humidity has been between 40-49% the entire incubation temp has fluctuated between 98.8 and 101.5 keeping at 99.5-100.2 most of the time the best I can and its been here most of the incubation. I have tossed 2 eggs, one had a blood ring(one of the grey eggs) one qiut after about 3-5 days(shipped eggs) fairly good incubation so far I would like to keep it that way if possible I have only been filling the 2 outside bars with water and not the center ring I have to add water on most days morning and evening so during lockdown I'm sure I'll have to add water, will filling the center ring be enough? or will I need sponges? lockdown seems were all my problems start and I would like to change that. I realize the LG isn't the best choice but my only other incubator is a Leah Manufacturing(higginsville, MO) cabinet holding 1280 eggs in 8 trays its an old wooden style and still works fine just alot of incubator.

sorrry for the long post

Kenneth Flippen

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I used hardware cloth (the plastic kind) to seperate different lines in my hovabator - worked ok. When I used an LG, I did have to fill the center, AND add sponges, which I leaned against the sides, to increase exposed surface area. Also, put bendy straws in through the vent holes when you need to add water, and use a syringe to squirt through the straws (the biggest one you can get, or it will take you FOREVER). Good luck!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by