How to set up a chicken dust bath

NinjaGamer2022

Songster
Apr 30, 2022
I am reading up on mites and things and have learned that it makes a LOT of sense to set up a chicken dust bath and add stuff like DE. But my questions are:
1. How big should the dust bath be?
2. Other than DE should I put anything else in their dust bath to prevent pests and keep it healthy?
3. How much DE should I put in the dust bath?
4. Can the dust bath be just sand with stuff like DE or should I also add things like wood ash?
5. Is their anything else about this I should do or know about?

Thank you.

My sand box is 3'x4.5' frame made from 2x8 boards screwed together. I add .4 cubic foot of DE/ash mix (equal parts) to every 1 cubic foot of sand. I also like to toss in a 1/2 cup of ground clove as it acts as a natural mite repellent - and it makes the chicken smell delicious! 😂

I add a sand box for every 12-15 chickens. Adding extra boxes to accommodate the flock size helps to keep my chickens from digging holes all over the run.

Last edited:
As a rookie, I will suggest this.
1x8 boards cut and nailed into a square shape. Filled with play sand and DE.--- @Overo Mare
My Dominiques, Silkies, and Wyandottes love it. My Leghorns and Ameraucanas prefer to make their own dust piles somewhere else.

Edit:
Jeez I almost forgot.. a bit of Sevin dust. It works in my parrot nest boxes,keeps the ants and mites away. I figured I'd try it in the dust boxes as well.:idunno

Last edited:
I just use sand.
My sand box is 3'x4.5' frame made from 2x8 boards screwed together. I add .4 cubic foot of DE/ash mix (equal parts) to every 1 cubic foot of sand. I also like to toss in a 1/2 cup of ground clove as it acts as a natural mite repellent - and it makes the chicken smell delicious! 😂

I add a sand box for every 12-15 chickens. Adding extra boxes to accommodate the flock size helps to keep my chickens from digging holes all over the run.
I like the clove idea a lot.

Back
Top Bottom