How to Set Up Momma Hen and Chick for Success - Need a Plan!

Hope all continues to go well. In general most chickens are not a threat to chicks. Broody hens can be another story. They all end up acting differently. I have never had a situation where multiple hens are coming and sitting on 1 baby, so I have no idea if the broodies might fight to be the mom. I have seen hens who wanted all the chicks to stay with them, well fight other mothers. I have also seen the opposite where moms attack any chick that is not theirs when they have small chicks.

I feed a lower calcium, high protein feed in pellets. For newly hatched chicks that won't be needing a lot of feed I just put the pellets in a blender and pulse it a few times. Breaks it up without turning it to dust.

My last batch of 10 chicks I used the blender for a week then just left the pellets to see if they could take it. Yup.

If I get lucky enough to have a broody when chicks are hatching from the incubator I always let the hen raise them. Because I like easy. I check to see if she'll take them by setting a chick down a foot away from her. Even if she just hatched some chicks. The chick will always chirp and run to her and if she lifts up slightly it runs under. That's a good to go signal for me to get the others and set them down by her. I've had a hen take chicks that were a week older than the ones she hatched.
I might try this. I would love to add a couple more šŸ˜Š Our TSC gets babies in tomorrow, so I might try it. Weā€™ll see!

3485B629-E5C1-44B3-B37E-2AFCEE0AE4BB.jpeg

Well, itā€™s official - two hens have definitely decided to co-parent this baby!

Whatever mom isnā€™t in the brooder nest with the baby is sitting on eggs, they take turns. šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø Really tempted to get some day old chicks today and put them under the mom whoā€™s on the eggs tonight so they raise the babies together, but Iā€™m worried about throwing the dynamic off - but if it works out, I would have a batch of babies close in age, which would be awesome. I know itā€™s a personal decision, but what would you do? Does the risk outweigh the reward, or do I have a high chance of success since theyā€™re doing so well together?

View attachment 3413462
Well, itā€™s official - two hens have definitely decided to co-parent this baby!

Whatever mom isnā€™t in the brooder nest with the baby is sitting on eggs, they take turns. šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø Really tempted to get some day old chicks today and put them under the mom whoā€™s on the eggs tonight so they raise the babies together, but Iā€™m worried about throwing the dynamic off - but if it works out, I would have a batch of babies close in age, which would be awesome. I know itā€™s a personal decision, but what would you do? Does the risk outweigh the reward, or do I have a high chance of success since theyā€™re doing so well together?
I tend to fall victim to chicken mathā€¦I would probably give it a shot. If it doesnā€™t work out, are you ok brooding them indoors or selling them? (But I do think it will).

I tend to fall victim to chicken mathā€¦I would probably give it a shot. If it doesnā€™t work out, are you ok brooding them indoors or selling them? (But I do think it will).
Youā€™ve convinced me. Chicken math is a serious problem! šŸ¤£
I guess plan B would be to brood them indoors until I can sell them, but with the number of people that are joining the backyard Chicken community, Iā€™m sure I could find them a home in no time.

Is disease/illness transmission to my flock something I should be concerned about when adding new chicks in? Nobody is vaccinated, they are all almost a year old. Everyone currently appears to be very healthy.
Perhaps Iā€™m just paranoid.

It is not because they are vaccinated. Most hatchery birds are not. Newly hatched chicks are generally healthy as deceases are not passed from hen to egg. Sick chicks can happen, but it is easier to spot an illness in a chick than a grown bird. Also easier to separate chicks from your flock. Hatcheries also go through inspections. You can check with your breeder to see if he has any health certifications.

Back
Top Bottom