How to sex chickens before they start crowing or laying?

has anyone ever sexed by the wings? I have some chicks now, some bought and some hatched. and my hatched ones I had (if you go by wing feather lengths) 2 females and one male. they are about a week old now and still have different lengths of feather..

I know someone who had sone this for probably about 70 years and is very rarely wrong- no material what - there will be a mistake. Even venting pros make mistakes- all I know is they are already what they are going to be and I do no know what that is lol. It does seem like Roos chest bump and stare down each other more than hens but hens will do that too

Just throwing this out there...

I just went to a hatchery outside the city and the woman there showed me a trick. She picked from sight what she thought were girls, then she held them on their backs. The ones that just laid there calmly, she said were pullets. The roos kicked and squirmed. I've confirmed that they do this consistently. The chicks I got were 1, 2, and 3 weeks old, three different breeds. I can report back in a few months as to whether she was right! She claimed a 90% success rate.

Back
Top Bottom