How to sex ducks?

Fancy Feather Poultry

Cooped Up
12 Years
May 30, 2007
Ok I ordered 3 ducks from Ideal 2 females and 1 male but sadly 1 died, Now the other 2 are 4 weeks old this week and I stil cant manage to figure out if the male ducks died or if it was one of the females.

P.S. They are blue swedish.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same problem trying to figure out the two ducks we got at easter but now I finally know who is who -- If the tail feathers curl they are male - if the tail feathers stay straight its a girl. I have 3 ducks now and this method works the two with curl tails are trying to breed the one with the straight tail so I now know I have two males and one tired female LOL
Hope this helps alittle good luck.

At that age, vent sexing is your best bet. Otherwise, wait for them to leave their juvenile plumage then it will be more obvious. If you have just got to know, get a magnifying glass, an extra set of hands, and learn to vent sex.

Pick one of them up and walk away from the other...the girls will quack and if it's a boy it's a lower softer raspier sound. They might be little young at this point in time, but you'll be able to tell by voice much sooner than waiting for the drake curl or adult plumage.

Well the girls smell like a Daisy. "Daffy's girlfriend" (just a little Warner Brothers Cartoon humor).

Doing the old "vent check" is the only way to tell at that age. If you don't know how or don't trust yourself. You can take em to your local farmers market and there will be at least 5 people within arms reach that can show you how to do it. I recomend buying some of whatever they're selling to say thanks.

Good Luck and God Bless,

when they git older the males tail feathers will curl up but the females are slightyly smaller but you will have to wate awile for them to get older.

Back
Top Bottom