How to... Single comb to Pea comb

OK that's what I though you meant, so if you plan to make Rose Combed birds, I think you should find some really good quality RC RIRs to use.

Thanks Kev and Rareroo, You both posted while I was replying.

Kev wrote: "I'd suggest finding out the genotype of the Sussex coloring and what E base they are on and try to get a pea combed bird with a 'compatible' genotype to make it much easier to get back to the Sussex coloration. Who knows, maybe a Dark Cornish/Asil would be your best outcross...".

Yes that was to be my next question, what is "behind" the Speckled Sussex coloring.

RAREROO I was thinking of the Dorking, I just went back and realized that I mistakenly wrote Pea comb when I should have written Rose comb. I was thinking using the Russian Orloff, the coloring looks the same to me. Does anyone know if the coloring on the Russian Orloff is the same genetically as the Speckled Sussex? It sure looks the same in photos to me.

I do know I couldn't call my birds Speckled Sussex, that's OK. I just love this breed and it breaks my heart to see those lovely rooster combs suffer in the cold. It seems that many chicken breeds were developed based on what people really like and what works well in their area. Except for the comb, the Speckled Sussex are perfect for me.

This past year I purchased extra chicks so I could keep just the ones I really liked, and sell the others locally. I figured folks that just wanted a few chicks would buy them. This is exactly what happened, I sold a few chicks and young birds to three families. The problem: I was planning on keeping all the Speckled Sussex but in every family the kids fell for the Speckled Sussex! Who can deny children. So now I have just four Speckled Sussex pullets and three roosters. I hope based on this incredibly unreliable market research that other local families might also like my Speckled Sussex minus the big single combs on the roosters. Of course none of these families wanted roosters so maybe it only matters to me
hmm.png

Yep, I love my SS too, and I also sold more of them than my other breeds this past year. The Orloffs should be geneticly the same color as the SS. Do you know how the mottleing gene works in the SS when you are trying to breed it into another breed or solid colored bird? It wouldn't be hard at all the into another breed and it wouldn't be hard to breed the rose comb into another breed, the problem is that you would be trying to do both at the same time, I don't really know much about how the combs work when breeding back and forth, but you will also have to juggle the mottling gene in the Sussex it would take you atleast 2 generations to even get birds that have the mottleing after you cross to a solid bird, and you would only have a percenge of those with the mottling, but I think it would be cool when you do get it.

Good luck and keep us updated.
wink.png

Thanks Rareroo, I'll check it out. I just gave myself a headache trying to figure out what color a speckled sussex is on the Kippen Kleuren Calculator. I have a Partridge Chantecler and thought maybe that might be a good start. I think it might be but I'll need to try again.

Gee, thanks a lot Rareroo, that was not nice to tempt a person with exactly what they are looking for and NOT tell them that they are only available in Germany and the UK
lol.png

Those mille fleur Wyandottes do look like just the ticket, now all I have to do is import them
roll.png
lol.png

Quote:
LOL Sorry, I didn't look to see where they are located but the cool breeds/colors like that are usually across the pond. I would be fairily easy to make them your self, easier than it would be to import them I'd say, The Speckled Sussex are Mille Fluer on the Genetic Calculator, they just have dark mohagany instead of the lighter buff color, but just plug in the mille fluer. If you want to make mille fluer wyandottes, then you should breed the SS with a Buff Wyandotte, or If you just want a mille fluer colored rose combed bird, I'd just go with the RC RIR, that should only take a few generations.

Is it ever possible to get peacomb when breeding the (what you reffered to as "25% straight comb") "25% straight combs" together ?
Thanks ,
Shannon

Quote:

Quote:

Pea comb (P/P) x single comb (p/p) = 100 % intermediate comb or P/p. pea comb is incompletely dominant to the single comb gene so you get a wierd looking comb that is not pea nor is it single.

P/p X P/p = Pea comb (25%) intermediate comb (50)% and single comb (25%) This refers to the percentage of offspring that will have a specific trait. If you hatched 100 chicks from the P/p X P/p cross, then around 25 will be pea combed and around 50 will be intermediate and around 25 will be single combed.

If you cross two of the single combed birds from the 25% , then all of the offspring will be single combed.

Tim

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom