How To Socialize Chicks When They Are Being Cared For By A Hen

PrairieCowgirl

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 24, 2013
We will have a momma hen and babies coming in later this week. They will be a gift from a neighbor, we anticipate they will hatch tomorrow and we will get them when they are three days old. How can we make sure these chicks grow up to be well socialized and used to being handled? They will be living with with their momma in the coop, we don't have any other chickens yet; just starting :) We read about how to socialize chicks in a brooder; how do you socialize chicks when they are in the coop with the hen? Will the hen be comfortable with us handling her babies?
Thanks SO much!

We will have a momma hen and babies coming in later this week. They will be a gift from a neighbor, we anticipate they will hatch tomorrow and we will get them when they are three days old. How can we make sure these chicks grow up to be well socialized and used to being handled? They will be living with with their momma in the coop, we don't have any other chickens yet; just starting :) We read about how to socialize chicks in a brooder; how do you socialize chicks when they are in the coop with the hen? Will the hen be comfortable with us handling her babies?
Thanks SO much!
=========
I just got thru this. Mama hen didn't want me near them. So I just let them be. She has lots to teach them. Can do it much better than I can. They are 2 months old now and Mama hen has let them go on their own. Will I make pets out of them? I don't think so. However, I am sure you can find the info you seek somewhere here on BYC. My point was, this is an important time for the chicks and Mama Hen is the best a raising them, so I just leave her to it.
Best,
Karen

What breed are they?

We got some 10 week old faverolle chicks two weeks ago. The only human contact they had was when the breeder changed their food and water. Today one of them sat on my knee for a good five minutes with nothing more than a scratch round its head as a bribe :). So they don't have to be held from day one to be pets (though favorelles are a very friendly breed)

What we did was just sit in there a lot with them and we have offered them food treats (chick starter moistened with warm water is a big hit)
First we let them get used to eating from a container we held, then we would put our hands on their backs as they ate so they learnt being touched wasn't scary. Then we started scratching them under the chin. Now after two weeks two we can pick up and put on our knees to eat their treats and the other two will climb on our knees but on their own terms lol

Just takes preserverence. We are lucky its been school holidays :)

Your biggest issue will be an overprotective mummy hen I suspect but maybe she will get used to you too :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom