How to Stop a Gander from Bullying a Duck???

LittleLakesFarm

Songster
6 Years
Jun 15, 2013
I have 2 geese & 1 gander (Embden) who grew up with 2 adult Runner ducks. Everything was fine until this past spring when my XL gander got randy & started jumping everyone. He bullied the ducks, particularly one of them ("Twin") so I separated them. I put his jackassishness down to his hormones. There is plenty of space for everyone.

Then the geese became broody & were sitting on eggs. He then became very protective over his territory as he should be. Baby ducklings were introduced (when the eggs the geese were sitting on did not hatch) with no problems. They are now nearly fully grown ducks & run happily with the geese all happy families. The geese see the ducklings as their own babies.

So I thought it would be a good time to reintroduce the ducks back in with everyone seeing as everyone was getting along so well but the gander attacked "Twin" duck again within an hour & it was quite vicious. I figure he's just protecting his wives & the babies.

I am worried that he is going to start bullying the babies. My question is: is there a way to keep everyone together happily? Is my gander a jerk or just doing his job? I'm just not sure what to do. I was hoping he would grow out of this meanness after the babies arrived. They all still sleep in the same house at night but the ducks are all separated from the 3 geese with bars.

It would be so nice to have everyone together. I have heard that autumn is the best time to introduce them together. I really don't think my gander is going to change how he is, I am just really worried that he is going to attack the babies. Any suggestions are welcome & thank you for taking the time to read this & for all of your help. :love:fl

"Inglez" My Gander
Inglez (2).jpg

Last edited:
Inglez is just being a gander, or at least his own version of a gander, and probably can't be taught to play any nicer. Far from being a fluff of feathers, he is very powerful, and could kill Twin. It is Twin that will have to learn to stay very clear of Inglez. And in the wild, I'm sure he would get away and never go near Inglez again. But being in a domestic situation, you will need to protect others in your flock from Inglez.

My opinion, for what it's worth. And I do definitely hope someone has a better idea or more workable suggestion.

Thank you for your reply <3. I was afraid you were going to say that. We got him to protect our flock from foxes, not to bully the flock! UGH I'm thinking that we may need to try another gander (perhaps younger) with a gentler personality? We have a close friend who breeds geese & would keep Inglez with his flock for us. Our last gander "Clarence" wouldn't hurt a fly but he was a wonderful guard. Unfortunately he was killed in an accident. Horrible. I miss him so much. Are all ganders mean most of the year & I just got really lucky with Clarence or are some nice? Inglez is handsome with a no nonsense demeanour exactly lol. He is quite gentle with the babies.

Last edited:
I have an Embden gander who by the way raised many Muscovy ducklings when it was just him and the Muscovy's he was 5 yrs old when he met the love of his life a Toulouse goose. Now during breeding season which starts here in Dec [not the actual mating] but the hormone changes are beginning he starts getting hateful towards everything including me. Some day worse than others. You can probably safely introduce everyone as soon as breeding season and duckling raising is over. Are the ducklings being raised by your geese? if so then they are looked at as goslings. So if they have been with the geese from day olds or hatched by them they will be goslings to the geese. And probably not subject to abuse the other ducks will suffer because papa will be very protective of his kids. Now once the ducklings are adults and your geese start again next year and have eggs to sit again things may change. All you can do is watch and wait. But you def want to keep twin away from him while he is in this mood.

Thanks miss Lydia! It is a shame he has to be SO vicious. Twin is well away with my other adult duck. I wish it didn't have to be this way! Inglez does see the ducklings as his goslings. Great advice. I appreciate it.
I would love to see a photo of your "love birds" :p. <3 :love

Back
Top Bottom