How to stop a roo from crowing? Any ideas?

I recall a posting that the only way to stop a rooster crowing is giving him a hot bath with onions and carrots!

lol.png

Quote:
gig.gif
so the smell of onions and carrots affect their lungs making it imposible for them to crow LOL
lau.gif

None of my chicks are big enough to crow yet, but it is something I have considered. My wife is a light sleeper, and we don't want to bother our neighbors, so in general we have resolved to eat anything that crows. However, discussing it with a Vet friend, he said there is a way to surgically de-vocalize a rooster, but that it is very traumatic, and not a recommended procedure. If on the other hand the alternative is "a hot bath with carrots & onions", then it might be something to consider.

I have a rooster that crows and can barely even hear him unless I am outside. Not nearly as bad as a barking dog. In my opinion, it's kind of like a train or a grandfather clock- after a while you are accustomed to it and don't really hear it anymore.

As mentioned a rooster is going to crow whenever he wants to. During the winter snow storm, I had their coops locked up tight with NO light in there and come around 6 am, like clockwork, the roos were a crowing. Kinda takes the purpose away from having chickens if the rooster stops a crowing, dont you think?

I read in another post if you put him in a cage that was too short for him that he wouldn't be able to stretch himself up tall like he needs to do to crow. I don't have any roos right now but it seems like a pain to me - you'd have to catch him every night to cage him and release him first thing in the morning.

Quote:
We couldn't wait for Brewster to crow. It sounded pretty funny when he was learning. Now he has an awesome crow. He is quiet all night, even when the lights come on for the dogs. He starts in the coop around 4:00AM, and lets loose any time he feels like it during the day. With the windows closed we barely hear him, the neighbors we have now don't mind, but we'll see what happens when the new house a couple hundred yards up the hill becomes occupied. I guarantee, complaints to the town will fall on deaf ears. As far as barking dogs go......that is IRRITATING! My miniature poodle goes out and runs circles around the coop & run, barking non-stop until I go out and get him. It's a high pitched frenzied bark that feels like a hot nail being jammed in my ear. What's really funny is how all the chickens stand right there in his face and watch him act stupid. They know they're safe behind the wire.

I almost never notice my cuckoo clock going off.

My roos crow whenever they feel like it. If you're worried about upsetting your nieghbour get some banties, the roosters of some breeds have the most pitiful crow ever.

Back
Top Bottom