How to stop aggressive pecking?

mygerbilprince

In the Brooder
Mar 5, 2021
My littlest hen, Fern, is unfortunately at the bottom at the hierarchy of my coop despite being the most lovable and friendly! She has a huge bald spot on her back where her feathers have been picked clean off. The other hens are missing a few feathers in the same place but not to the same extent. We bought cream which is supposed to stop the others from pecking at her, but it only fights half the battle. It is called PICK-NO-MORE COVER-UP LOTION "Reduces Cannibalism" by Rooster Booster. It doesn't seem to be working to well... it stopped getting bigger (mainly because she ran out of feathers on her back) but its not healing and I worry about her getting cold since it is winter where I live; and we get COLD winters. Any advice to help her grow back her feathers will be greatly appreciated.

MY FLOCK: (this is also what I estimate their hierachy looks like)
Julian (Buff Orpington Rooster)
Ivy (Buff Orpington Hen)
Hibiscus (Buff Orpington Hen)
Fern (Buff Orpington Hen)

They are all 8 months old with a large hen house and semi-large run.

My littlest hen, Fern, is unfortunately at the bottom at the hierarchy of my coop despite being the most lovable and friendly! She has a huge bald spot on her back where her feathers have been picked clean off. The other hens are missing a few feathers in the same place but not to the same extent. We bought cream which is supposed to stop the others from pecking at her, but it only fights half the battle. It is called PICK-NO-MORE COVER-UP LOTION "Reduces Cannibalism" by Rooster Booster. It doesn't seem to be working to well... it stopped getting bigger (mainly because she ran out of feathers on her back) but its not healing and I worry about her getting cold since it is winter where I live; and we get COLD winters. Any advice to help her grow back her feathers will be greatly appreciated.

Ivy (Buff Orpington Hen)

Are you sure Julian's attention isn't the culprit?
What exactly are you feeding the flock?
Can you post pictures of your setup?

We believe its a combination of the two. They are getting Purina Layena Layer Pellets. I can try to get some pictures or draw my setup.

(My chickens aren't at my house they live on a different lot)

We believe its a combination of the two. They are getting Purina Layena Layer Pellets. I can try to get some pictures or draw my setup.

(My chickens aren't at my house they live on a different lot)
I suggest switching them over to a higher protein complete feed diet appropriate for your mixed flock and put oyster shell on the side for the laying hens. I've fen Flock Raiser from day one. I have three roosters in the flock and feeding them layer feed with a very large excess of calcium designed for actively laying hens is not good for them.
Pictures of you setup are needed to suggest alterations to improve the situation. Drawings will not help. Just take pictures when you go over today to care for them.

I recommend that you put Pinless Peepers on your rooster. He is overmating your hens.
Put Nu-Stock on the hens back and it will heal the bald irritated areas. Wear disposable gloves when applying it. Your other option is to sell or give away your rooster unless you want to bring in about 5 or 6 more hens (which will present more problems.)
Here's where you can buy the Pinless Peepers, buy them along with the pliers.
Nu-Stock will be in the equine section at a feed store.
https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/pinless_peepers.html

thnustock.jpg

Ivy (Buff Orpington Hen)

O wholeheartedly agree that the rooster needs to go. It is recommended to have 8 hens per rooster. I have one girl inside a large dog kennel where she sleeps and lounges in the AM when my rooster is most active. The other hens will gather around while he mates her then they all attack her when he hops off. She is doing much better just being out 1/2 days.

Back
Top Bottom