How to stop bully quail

Harry637

In the Brooder
Aug 8, 2021
I have 2 female quail. They were getting along well until one day one just pecked the other so the other started freaking out and running at the sight of her. I tried to separate them, putting the bully in a small cage before reintroducing. Each time, she just tries to go after her and before long, she’s in the cage, screaming for a partner since she’s lonely. I don’t like to put the quail in small cages. I think the other quail attempting to run might be provoking her. Any advice on why this is happening and how I can put them back together without fighting? Thanks everyone 🙏!

i hate when my birds bully each other but i never had quails before so i don't won't to put you in the wrong direction. So i hope you find a way to stop the bullying.but when my hens bullyed i bought a rooster i don't know if quails are the same?

Who knows what set the hen off. You might try taking both birds out of their cage, clean it, rearrange it, then put them both back in.

How big is their cage?

Sorry, I wrote this out last night, but forgot to hit "Post reply".

I have 2 female quail. They were getting along well until one day one just pecked the other so the other started freaking out and running at the sight of her. I tried to separate them, putting the bully in a small cage before reintroducing. Each time, she just tries to go after her and before long, she’s in the cage, screaming for a partner since she’s lonely. I don’t like to put the quail in small cages. I think the other quail attempting to run might be provoking her. Any advice on why this is happening and how I can put them back together without fighting? Thanks everyone 🙏!
On one of my favorite YouTube channels, Kevin says you can't give the quail too much room because they get territorial. A tinier cage is better than a big cage. Living Traditions Homestead. It may be the Dec 4 2021 video. First project in the new workshop. 50 quail grow out cage

Sorry, but the whole, small cage is better idea doesn't sound right. I've been lucky I guess, in the seven years I've been doing this I've had minimal bullying but I think in part it's due to having plenty of space and always having multiple 'good spots' where they can get away from each other.

Overcrowding doesn't work on any species I can think of, including humans! Good Luck!

I had this problem and I separated the bully from the rest using mesh so she could still see the others, then reintroduced after a couple weeks. I also rearranged everything a couple times and added loads of extra hiding places. A combination of those things seems to have done the trick. Before she had a vendetta against one quail in particular and nearly pecked her eyes out but now they can stand quite happily next to each other. I've also read that breaking up the line of sight helps.

Back
Top Bottom