How to stop chickens pecking each other'

JeanetteTrickey

Hatching
May 10, 2015
I currently have 5 chickens one of which I presume is pecking the other chickens in the pen. Four of them have been really badly pecked on their rears leaving 6 inch bald patches. They also have bald patches on their legs and sides. The fifth chicken is completely untouched so I presume that she is the one causing the damage to the others.

Please can someone advise me on what I can do to resolve this issue.

Regards Jeanette

Hello there and welcome to BYC!

Make sure you have enough space in your coop and run. 5 square feet per bird in the coop, 10 square foot in the run. Give them things to do...free ranging, ladders, mirrors, hanging veggies, seed pecking blocks, etc...

Remove the bully. Sometimes some jail time will fix the problem, leaving them caged for a few days and possibly isolation for a few weeks. If this doesn't work you can rehome them or even try Pinless Peepers on the meanie.

Usually it is one bird that starts the pecking. So figure out who it is and go from there.

Good luck and I hope you get this resolved soon!

If you find out that ONLY the untouched hen is doing the pecking - I would just rehome her. It's not worth the effort of trying to rehabilitate her. The other hens will probably heal fast once she is removed from the folk. It sounds like this has been going on way too long, if their bald areas are so large. If flies lay eggs in their wounds, the subsequent maggots will be much worse than the initial sores. Poor chickens.

Back
Top Bottom