how to stop diarrhea!!!!!!!

I spoke too soon. It still happening and I cannot get resolution to the ungoing problem. I am thinking the rice and garlic today will not hurt them and they like it . I will probably continue with it a couple more times this week. Yesterday there were a few "normal" texture and odor poop ,however last night a bunch of the brown smelly poop. Can anyone interject as I cannot believe my Silkies are the only chickies that ever had this problem?!Is anyone out there that is familiar with it?

Last edited:
Occasional brown smelly poop is normal- this is cecal poop. If all of the poop is like this, or one of the chicks has only this- that is abnormal. Diarrhea can be caused by many things (just like in people). Bacterial infection, parasitic infection, viral, food ingredient. Young birds will also get diarrhea if too hot or too cold! Describing your brooder would be helpful- temps especially. 7 week olds should be able to take 60-65 if there are a bunch to keep each other warm, but having a warm spot for them is nice. Are they bunched/piled and peeping, or spread out when they sleep? If the whole brooder is hot- they can get diarrhea. If you got a new food right when the change happened- you can try switching back. If you want to know if there is a parasitic infection for sure and not just guess- you can have a fecal sample checked at a vet's- but in a 7 wk old bird, worms are unlikely. Coccidia (a protozoal infection) is common in chicks in some areas (not sure about Hawaii). This would also show up in a fecal exam- it usually causes diarrhea with blood flecks. OTC treatments for this are sulfa drugs (sulfadimethoxine) and amprolium. Dirty water can cause bacterial GI problems, can they poop in the water?

mypicklebird: :they are in a large cardboard brooder which is cged out once a day to another like brooder. There water has ACV is cleaned with hot water soap and white distiiled vinegar and then dried ,same as the small red food trough. Temps are 75 day and a couple of nights it went below but no drafts as windows closed 6 pm and at that time a upright lamp 40 w was put on to see as I was advised I should stop the heatlamp after 6 weeks and I have been maintaining one wk past that point adjusting the angle as I observe the Silkies.Use heat lamp again started last night. Their water can get poop in it I paper towel/scoop it out dispose of it using soap on my hands each and everytime before touching birds and after each one and each dirt.germ removal and cleanup. Their water is in the upright standard plastic holder ,tried to put it up on brick no real difference keeping it any cleaner from pineshavings or poop or feathers . I change their water every morning ( room temp )with ACV in it. Their food holders are washed under hot water,soap and vinegar as well.
Their pineshavings are addressed every 1 1/2 to 2 hours since the day I got them and that means day and night. I have been very diligent to keep an eye on them to keep that comfortable ,socialized,and fed and watered properly. The food is has it is crumbles I thought it was pellets as I did not know crumbles existed so I have been calling it by the wrong name. Bananas one whole for 7 chicks per day . riceand garlic 2 x this wk..

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes, mine. She had like watery diarrhea not of the brown variety but the greenish with white. It was gone in about a day and a half to two max.

I gave her garlic twice a day for several days.

Last edited:
I would stop the banana. Fruit can cause diarrhea, and 1 banana for 7 chicks is ALOT of banana. Fun math because I am bored (raining outside)- 7wk old chick ~ 1lb. 1 chick eats ~ 1/7 banana ~ 0.14banana/chick. Average human ~150lb. Ratio of 150lb x 0.14banana/1lb chick = average human eating about 20lb banana. I think the math is right, could be wrong... but 20lb of banana per day would give anyone I know diarrhea.... 2 bananas will give my kid (35lb) smelly brown poop easy. That is 0.06banana/lb compared to what your chicks are getting 0.14banana/lb.... stop the banana, see what happens in the next 2 days!

Quote:

Picklebird: It is a small banana in thickness(width) and in length. It is called dwarf apple banana. It is definantely not a regular size banana. Do you still fell the same action is necessary?

the concept is still sound, too much fruit= diarrhea. Certainly can't hurt to stop it for a few days. That would be a easy experiment and quick and cheap answer.

Quote:

they are on apple cider vinegar already, yes I will stop the bananas and see what happens.Thank you, will keep you updated.

picklebird: don't want to speak too loud or too soon but.......... so far so good ..so fast?????????????But wow were they a bit ticked off when the banana did not get brought to brooder after their rice and garlic. Do chickens pout? lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom