How to stop rooster in mid-attack another rooster?

ForTheLoveOfSilkies

Free Ranging
Aug 18, 2019
Australia
Has anyone broke up a fight and how did you do it?
I have a 2 year old rooster and a cockerel who I seperated (him with some pullets) around 6 months old due to him constantly over mating.
So I want to have 1 flock instead of 2 for Winter as the main coop is more weather proof. So I need to reintroduce the cockerel (who will be a year old so a rooster)
They sort of attack each other through the fence so I'm worried when I let them in together they will fight, so how do I stop the fight so there's no terrible injuries?
All my chickens are Silkies, rooster has a calm but skittish personality and it's often the cockerel who starts fights between the fence.

IMG_20210214_142425.jpg

I have a 2 year old rooster and a cockerel who I seperated (him with some pullets) around 6 months old due to him constantly over mating.
So I want to have 1 flock instead of 2 for Winter as the main coop is more weather proof. So I need to reintroduce the cockerel (who will be a year old so a rooster)
They sort of attack each other through the fence so I'm worried when I let them in together they will fight, so how do I stop the fight so there's no terrible injuries?
All my chickens are Silkies, rooster has a calm but skittish personality and it's often the cockerel who starts fights between the fence.

View attachment 2546500
Just curious, what colors are your males?

View attachment 2546500
I had two bantams who would go at it sometimes. I would just stand between them while they were doing their little floofy-hackles-and-lowered-heads manly stare-off. If they kept fussing, then I would grab one of them and walk off with him. Or grab both of them at the same time and pick them up.
They would always cluck at me in the most offended way.

This might sound weird, but I have resigned myself to the idea that I will have to cull my male chicks (from my standard breeds) since it is unlikely I would be able to find homes for them.

That being said, I am about to hatch out 13 Silkies (fingers crossed) and, for whatever reason, I abhor the idea of killing my Silkies.... I don't know if it is because they are so fuzzy or what. I am building a separate coop for my Silkies to keep them separated from my standard layers, mostly to keep them from being bullied. I will probably keep at least 1 Silkie rooster if I hatch any. If I hatch more than 1 Roo, I will do everything possible to find him a good home. Just can't seem to overcome the idea of culling a fuzzball.

So I can sympathize with your dilemma.

Back
Top Bottom