How to store feed without mold?

I use the Gamma2 food storage vittles vault containers and haven't had any issues thus far. They're completely airtight and while I mainly keep in my garage, a few years back when we went on a 3 week trip, I left it out for a neighbor to access for refilling feeders and no animal seemed to even attempt a break-in. Concurrently have never had issues with rodents in the garage because it's well sealed and thus doesn't release any odors.

Feed bags on a concrete floor outside are not going to do well.
Always check the mill date on each bag, you want it fed within three months of milling, at least.
We store ours in the original bags, in metal garbage cans, insulated from the concrete floor, in the coop. Each can is on a section of the coop that has rubber stall mats on the floor, then bricks or blocks also under the cans. Also one or two empty feed bags in the cans under the full bags.
Our local TSC has interior air conditioned storage too. Another local feed store has their bags under a roof but otherwise outside, and we don't buy feed there.
Mary

Last edited:
We store ours in a large cooler on wheels, it will hold a full 50lb bag and is easy to move out of the way to clean or change areas to store. It seals out moisture and critters, but we store ours indoors as well. We got ours from Lowes for less than $40.

My metal feed closet.

Wood door, roof, back wall all have metal on the outside. About 600# in there right now, room to spare - but we aren't 3xpecting rain for the next seven to ten days, figured I'd risk having 5 weeks worth and a bag of deer corn.
16902307599608917396100231357021.jpg

Back
Top Bottom