How to store hatching eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by m61248, Feb 20, 2009.

1. m61248

m61248 New Egg

Jan 22, 2008
    Can any of you all help me out with a little advice on hatching eggs? I need to know the best way to store eggs I want to hatch. I have only a couple hens and I am wanting to save them back for the incubator. please send me your advice.
    thanks!

2. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    Hi they should be stored pointy side down and I am not sure, but I want to think it is between 45-60 degrees. Maybe someone else will know more!! [​IMG]

3. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    45 to 55 deg temp so 60 would work to i belive. They need to be truned or tiped at least once a day best if twice a day i do both easy way i have found is to place a brick or small scrap or wood about the thickness of a brick under one end of the carton and just move it to the other end. and best not to hold over 7 days. Oh pointy end down pointy end down pointy end down i say that over and over so i dont forget [​IMG] i did my last hatch backwards not to good. good luck

4. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

5. Chickapooh23

Chickapooh23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Corning OH
    Quote:Yeah I have the same problem. It took me 5 days to get a doz eggs to set. I put them in an egg carton and set them tilted on the top of my bookshelf (have a 3 yr old) and changed the tilt everyday. The temp was about 65 degrees which is a little higher then recommended but they are all developing and I had a power outage.

6. m61248

m61248 New Egg

Jan 22, 2008
    Thanks for your help guys! and I won't forget pointy end down! [​IMG]
    wish me luck

7. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    yes, small end down-- if it is an egg where that is difficult to discern, then candle the egg and make sure eggs sac is UP.

I store at 55-60 degrees and try to hold not more than a week. 55 degrees is optimum. I store in my basement because the humidity is about 70% which is optimum humidity.

However, there was a time I had 1 hen I wanted to hatch from and she laid an egg every other day so it took me 14 days to save and store 7 eggs. All of them hatched, even the 14 day old one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by